Are you struggling to forgive yourself for mistakes you’ve made? When you do things you regret, it’s easy to get stuck in a place of guilt and shame. Sometimes, you might even tell yourself the lie that you have “gone too far this time,” and God will never forgive you. Furthermore, you might feel as if you can never forgive yourself. These lies can make you think you are not worthy of anyone’s forgiveness. However, God offers you unending forgiveness despite not deserving it. The Bible repeatedly says that He not only forgives you, but He clears your guilty conscience. You may not feel it immediately, but God will always walk with you on your journey to self-forgiveness. Here are 8 prayers to pray to help you receive God’s forgiveness in your own heart.
1. O Lord, You are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for Your help. – Psalm 86:5 NLT
Lord, thank You for loving me unconditionally and forgiving me time and time again. I know You forgive me for all my wrongdoings, Lord, please help me do the same for myself. Help me to remember that although forgiveness is not what I deserve, it is Your gift to me, and You have made me as white as snow. Thank You, Lord Jesus, amen.
2. For He has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of His dear Son, 14 who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins. – Colossians 1:13-14 NLT
Father, I know You sent Your Son to rescue me from the kingdom of darkness. Remind me that You have rescued and transferred me to a new place. You have adopted me into Your kingdom, Lord, where I am free from the darkness and forgiven of all my sins, just as all Your children are. Help me to forgive myself as You forgive me. In Jesus’ name, amen.
3. And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins. – Hebrews 8:12 NLT
God, You are so good, gracious, and forgiving. You still sent Your Son to die for my sins even when You knew I would never measure up. No matter how often I mess up, You refuse to remember my sins. Therefore, help me forget my sins and move towards freedom from my past. Please help me remember the grace You give me as I work to forgive myself. In Jesus’ mighty name, amen.
4. So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. – Romans 8:1 NLT
Jesus, thank You for welcoming me into Your kingdom. I know that as long as I am Yours, I have no condemnation. Instead, You give me the loving conviction to help lead me to change. Condemnation is only from the devil and me, but You lead me to turn from sin so that I may be closer to You. Help me to be able to extend the same grace to myself that You extend to me. In Your name, amen.
5. This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 18 And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to Himself through Christ. – 2 Corinthians 5:17-18 NLT
Father, Your Word says that through You, I am made new. All of the old mistakes I have made are gone, and I am made pure. Please let this give me hope and encouragement to not dwell on my mistakes, but instead live fully confident knowing that I am made new through Jesus. In His name, amen.
6. “For this is My blood, which confirms the covenant between God and His people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.” – Mathew 26:28 NLT
God, thank You for sending Your Son to earth so that He could be the sacrifice for all of my sins. No matter what I do, I could never earn the covenant You gave me and the sacrifice that was made to save me from myself. I pray that You help me live every day as someone fully forgiven and saved by You. Please help me to forgive myself so that I can live fully in the sacrifice You have provided. In Jesus’ name, amen.
7. He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west. – Psalm 103:12 NLT
Lord, it is so easy to feel tied down by my sins and feel like they control me. Yet, I know that You have not only paid the price for my sins, but You also have removed me from them. In Your eyes, I am forgiven and cleansed. Please let me see myself how You see me, Lord. In Your name, I pray, amen.
8. For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. 24 Yet, God in His grace, freely makes us right in His sight. He did this through Christ Jesus when He freed us from the penalty of our sins. – Romans 3:23-24 NLT
Jesus, it is often so hard to forgive myself because I feel like I haven’t paid the price. However, help me to remember that the price for my sins was already paid through You. Help me forgive myself so that I may be free of the burden of my guilt and find peace in Your sacrifice for me. I pray all these things in Jesus’ name, amen.