Aug 16 2010
Star Wars obsessed Air 1 artist!

Mark Hall, the lead singer of Casting Crowns is a self-proclaimed Star Wars geek ("...not as bad as I was before...", says Mark.)

He had a custom-made Han Solo desk and an Emperor chair that he donated to an auction to raise money for World Vision. So far, they have raised $15,000 and hope for more to help more kids.

But this is one of those things you have to see to believe! Check out this video of Mark's Star Wars office:

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (16) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

8/16/2010 6:13:41 PM
Amy United States
Amy
I WANT THAT OFFICE!!!!! i will give you......10 bucks fer all of it! im trying 2 save up money 2 buy a 120 dollar replica of darth maul's(my fav character Smile) lightsaber! what am i gonna do with it u ask? hang i up on the wall n look at it in my home made version of hoth(still in progress). i know wrong planet (rite planet(i think): naboo, tatooine) but i didnt wanna try the forest moon of endor, coruscant, naboo, tatooine, ot other 1s that would b even harder 2 paint! i know, not every1 understands what im talking about but i no that john cooper(skillet)n mark hall here will understand, cuz they know the ways of the force....well actually just the star wars movies but close enough!
8/16/2010 6:41:09 PM
Jennifer Eckert United States
Jennifer Eckert
The Han Solo desk is sweet.  Never new it existed until Mark tweeted about the auction.  What a way to speak boldly about Christ...through an auction where the proceeds go to a great organization.
8/16/2010 7:28:13 PM
Jay Graham United States
Jay Graham
Star Wars is a means to communicate many Christian ideas.

I recently developed a series of lessons on becoming a JeDi warrior.  JeDi=Je(sus) Di(sciple)using Ephesians 6:10-18 for the basics of the teaching.

I am a JeDi master for Jesus. I use the Star Wars concepts of JeDi abilities to believe, fight evil, help others, be humble, stand in the gap for others, wield a light saber and much more.

SciFi movies often reveal man's secular understanding of religious writings. "The Matrix" trilogy is another example of this type of movie.

It allows Christians to use contemporary societal experiences to reveal Jesus to the unbeliever in all of its power and truth.

Star Trek did this for me to. "Live long and prosper" was an early quote of that genre. For a Christian that has special meaning. We will live long, eternally as a matter of fact. Prosper equals bearing much fruit in this life and living with Jesus in the next.

This is another way I can be "all things to all men so as to save some".  Don't even get me started on the movie "Avatar". I could fill up your hard drive with all the theology there.
8/17/2010 11:38:58 AM
Stefan Fledderus Netherlands
Stefan Fledderus
Hm, let me say this. In all movies there are good and bad things. We must not neglect the bad things in Star Wars. Things like the force (which is basically Telekinese) can't be seen as a good thing. If we ignore all the bad things in the Saw movies, we can say it's a good movie as well. I'm well aware that this is an extreme example but I hope my point is clear...
8/17/2010 2:51:12 PM
Jim Bohrer United States
Jim Bohrer
All I can say is SWWWWWEEEEEEEET!  I need that for my church office.  I just don't know how the Emperor's chair would fly during counseling sessions... HMMMM!
8/18/2010 11:02:08 AM
Adrian United States
Adrian
Hey Coppelia
What are the new songs this week?
One of them is Jesus Saves by Jeremy Camp right?
Sorry for the topic change...=/
8/18/2010 6:36:57 PM
Amy United States
Amy
one thing to add stefan. im not trying to critisize u but if u took out all of the bad things in the saw movies, itd be like 5 minutes. and jay graham, i think thts pretty cool to be a JeDi knight for Christ. i was at church camp n the pastor there was talking about the theology in the matrix series. especially the 2nd movie. its where he talked bout was when trinity jumped off the building n was shot. neo caught her just before she hit the ground n took her to a safe place, like God does. when we reach out to Him in our troubled times, He'll pick us up n lead us back to a safer place. when neo reached inside trinity n took out the bullet, its like when Jesus took away our sins. then right after trinity died, he reached inside her again n startes pumping her heart until it did on its own again, like when Jesus brings us back to a new life after accepting Him as our one and only savior
8/19/2010 8:44:27 AM
Jay Graham United States
Jay Graham
Amy, thank you for your comment. I thought I'd posted something others could not, in faith, see. Your comment tells me other wise.

Satan uses "religion" to create divisiveness in the body of Christ. This denomination can't agree with that denomination and so forth.  Jesus said, "a house divided against itself cannot stand".  Well that surely seems to apply to Christianity today.

So, if Satan can do that, then why can't we use the secular to fight him with his own stuff?  Science fiction twists the Gospel for the purpose of deceiving believers and non-believers alike.  It tells a person to try to work harder to gain salvation through those works.

We then have an opportunity to correct that deception with the truth using the same material that caused the deception.  We start with concepts that are understood by the person to whom we are sharing.

I am encouraged by what you posted and pleased to hear that another Christian saw similar messages in science fiction, too.

Look around you to see what the culture is focusing on and use it to share Jesus.  The Holy Spirit will do the rest.
8/19/2010 9:00:35 AM
Ted United States
Ted
The other new song is "Almost Missed This Moment" by Revive.
8/19/2010 9:30:48 AM
Amber United States
Amber
This guy is my hero. Not only is he a Christian, but he also loves star wars. And the World Vision money is going to India (and Africa). I was just in India a few weeks ago, I totally support this auction and Mark Hall!
8/19/2010 11:42:50 AM
Stefan Fledderus Netherlands
Stefan Fledderus
Yeah, I get your point, but I think we shouldn't 'spiritualize' everything we see. We need to remember that these movies still are made by 'worldly' people from a worldly perspective. Of course there are good things to be taken out of movies, but I hope that we don't use it as an excuse to see as many movies as we can. And well, we can always read about spiritual guidance and stories in the bible;)
8/19/2010 1:18:37 PM
Air1Coppelia United States
Air1Coppelia
Hi Adrian! Thanks for asking about the new music. I finally got around to posting them today. And yes, you and Ted are both correct! The two new songs are Jeremy Camp "Jesus Saves" and Blink "Almost Missed This Moment".
Enjoy! God bless!
8/19/2010 8:36:35 PM
Amy United States
Amy
Stefan,
i do believe that the Bible and prayer should be the basis for our spiritual advice. but i also think that it is a good thing to watch for the spritual things in life everywhere, whether it be movies, our friends and family, books, or just everyday life.

(i think that you, jay, will like this. even more so since it is coming from a 12 year old)
the theme for the camp i went to was wide open. basically what the camp leaders said to us was to live wide open and let God enter our lives, to live wide open within ourselves, and to see things the way He does. the picture they used for this definition was a man with his arms wide open praising God.
the other way they put it was do live wide open out loud. it dont matter where you are, what time it is or who your with, let the throttle open all the way n live for God.

the verses for the week was 2 Corinthians 6:11-13 "Dear, dear Corinthians, i cant tell you how much i long for you to enter this wide-open, spacious life. we didnt fence you in. the smallness you feel comes from within you. your lives arent small, but youre living them in a small way. im speaking as plainly as i can and with great affection. open up your lives. live openly and expansively!"

ok, this is my last comment on the matter tonight. God bless you and remember, live wide open!
8/23/2010 5:13:59 AM
anon United States
anon
"Yeah, I get your point, but I think we shouldn't 'spiritualize' everything we see."

yes, but we shouldn't 'demonize' everything we see, either.
8/24/2010 4:54:03 PM
T United States
T
Religion is not a device of Satan. The meaning of the word "religion" is "a person's belief that governs their life." If you think that so called "Christian religion" is a bad thing, then what is governing your life? When Christians cease to let God govern their life and begin persecuting religion, then they are open to "hollow and deceptive philosophies." Jesus warned not to seek after signs and wonders. I ask, why are you trying to take your faith from movies? Didn't God give you enough in His Holy Word? I loved star wars as a kid. I still do. But taking your theology from movies, or trying to teach it from movies is dangerous. the video that was posted has nothing to do with what is being said in the comments. I don't know why the comments got so far off but when I read some of them, I am disturbed by the ignorance in some of them. I just wanted to leave some advise, whether it is accepted or not, to clear up my concience.

So in closing, "Let us worship GOD in BOTH SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH."

I hope that you are blessed.

Amen. Solo Christo.
9/2/2010 11:45:28 AM
Kiara United States
Kiara
Yawn,this topic is sooo boring. Can' t ALL of you stop talking about: JEDI or what ever; "demonize". Whatever. You guys would get soo much more media if ya played (and talked about) awesomer stuff. Some stuff you play is soo oldand old people. I'm gonna go oon facebook.