Mar 29 2010
Owl City artist on his faith

Here is a letter from Adam of Owl City about his faith in Jesus Christ and how it leads his life:

Owl City

My name is Adam and music is something that is fused to who I am. It allows me to breathe deeply, it lets me feel, imagine, aspire and dream in the most beautiful ways imaginable. Music is something that I can't imagine living without, and though it means more to me than the world itself, there is something that weighs significantly heavier on the scale of all things valuable and important in my life, that being my relationship with Jesus Christ.

I am an artist, that's what I do. Creating art has been my dream since elementary school, it's the only thing I'm good at and looking back on the years, I am left breathless, completely and utterly bereft of speech at how the Lord has chosen to use music in my life and what I do as Owl City to plant seeds, spread light like fire in an age where darkness feels more oppressive than ever, and ultimately, to glorify Him. I am endlessly honored and humbled that He should use me -- a completely average, ordinary shy boy from the middle of nowhere, to do great things in order to further His kingdom.

I'll be the first to say I have a timid personality and I'm not a great conversationalist, nor very confident in social situations, but one thing I've never wanted to be shy about is the reason behind why I do what I do, why I create art, why I dream and imagine. That reason is my faith in a God more powerful and omnipotent and full of love for us than words can even begin to describe.

3/29/2010 8:51:20 AM
Becca United States
Becca
This was great to read, and I know where Adam is coming from, I mean I know that I'm not really that great at much of anything but I know that when I am writing my songs and performing on stage on my high school, it's like everything else goes away, and it's only Jesus Christ and myself in the room.  It's a great feeling to be doing something for further God's kingdom!
3/29/2010 9:16:30 AM
Kaitlyn United States
Kaitlyn
Great article and good to know, but hardly anyone knows that and Owl City is one of the hottest trend bands right now.  I don't doubt him, just wonder why this isn't showing through his music as much...
3/29/2010 11:05:55 AM
c United States
c
that's AWESOME!
3/29/2010 2:16:50 PM
TMF United States
TMF
I noticed that this was posted by derek. Is he one of the air 1 djs. Just wondering because I haven't heard him on air 1 before.
3/29/2010 2:49:53 PM
Abi United States
Abi
I'm really glad he wrote that letter because people who listen to his music are getting a different message and this is his clarification that Fireflys is not about "dropping acid" or doing drugs. Now if this letter could be heard to a bigger group of people, maybe they will stop saying things that aren't true and get their facts straight.
3/29/2010 3:18:26 PM
CraigSnedeker United States
CraigSnedeker
So he is a Christian, awesome!
3/30/2010 10:48:18 AM
Sam United States
Sam
Kaitlyn, I know what you mean, and I felt that way too. However, I've recently heard pretty much all his songs, and have found he constantly sneeks in God into them as a way of softening unbelievers to Christianity.
Here are all the ones off the top of my head:
"The Christmas Song" (only on YouTube)
"Meteor Shower"
"Tidal Wave"
"Swimming In Miami"
"Hello Seattle" ('Seattle is a pseudonym for "God" in this song)
"The Technicolor Phase"
"Cave In"
"I'll Meet You There"

The rest are positive love songs with cheerfulness throughout, or fun goof-off songs.

Treat Owl City like sugar... wonderful in small amounts, but not healthy as a main course.
3/30/2010 12:11:16 PM
Drew United States
Drew
Anyone interested in this guy has to look no further than his myspace page...
to realize that his faith is somewhat important to him. Underneath a picture of clouds it says "I follow Jesus Christ wholeheartedly. He is my life, my strength, my all."
His #1 influence is God.
This letter is awesome if it really came from Adam, let's pray that it did, but I could agree with a couple of commenter's here that it would go a long way if Adam were to post this letter to his myspace page...just a thought.
In the meantime, enjoy this artist and his contribution to spreading the good news of Jesus Christ, even if he is doing it in his own way, it's still happening Smile
3/30/2010 1:38:10 PM
Kaitlyn United States
Kaitlyn
Thank you Sam, that pretty much sums it up.  I will listen to a few of those sometimes as I've only heard Fireflies.  Of course there's nothing wrong with having fun with music.  It's just my personal opinion that if someone has captured the culture's attention, they should be winning it for Christ.
3/30/2010 4:01:59 PM
J FIZZLE United States
J FIZZLE
My friend didn't even know that owl city WAS a Christian Artist!
3/30/2010 4:58:13 PM
Air1Ashton United States
Air1Ashton
yeah it was incredible to receive this letter from him. It is from him so no worries. He is a great guy, and has a great platform to share his faith! if you have a chance to catch a live show, you'll get a chance to see him live it out! I love it!

How many people that casually observe you on any given day, know you're a Christian? Keep winning the battle one at a time!
3/30/2010 5:12:12 PM
Bethany United States
Bethany
sam, u said that "seattle" is a pseudonym for God in the song. but i'm still going with kaitlyn. all i hear is him singing about worthless stuff and if he's gonna sing about God why hide His name?
3/30/2010 5:13:49 PM
Faith United States
Faith
i love his songs, so glad that i know he's a christian! he is great Smile God is great!!! =]
3/30/2010 8:45:44 PM
sarj United States
sarj
That's a good one, Ashton! Some song writers may write God into their song yet their not Christian. but this guy who is a Christian uses what God has given him as gift, I love listening to his songs. My kids love 'em too!
3/31/2010 11:19:04 AM
Air1Ashton United States
Air1Ashton
TMF, thanks for asking about Derek! He laughed when I asked him exactly what he did for Air 1. Smile He's an SEO expert, which means he does a lot of the web stuff for Air 1. You may see him posting blogs every now and then, too. Pretty cool, huh?
3/31/2010 12:55:22 PM
Cindy United States
Cindy
I think he's great and unique.  I think he's a new artist that we just haven't gotten to know yet.  He loves the Lord and seems very humble.  I get the feeling that he didn't think fireflies would be so popular.
3/31/2010 2:10:39 PM
Neutron United States
Neutron
Wow, Bethany, really? Worthless stuff? Pretty harsh. Judgmental too. What I hear is an artist who writes creative and inspiring music that's brimming with life, hope, wonder, and yes, the Spirit of God. You may have a pretty small box that your definition of "Christian music" has to fit into, but you should be careful about criticizing what the Spirit is doing through other people.
3/31/2010 6:59:54 PM
Marjorie United States
Marjorie
My son Matthew, is 13 and loves the song fireflies.  When we started to hear it on air1, I was not sure why it was on the station.  I am comforted to have read Adam's letter.  It seems a bit out of place, but it is innocent fun and whimsical.  We all need a bit of innocent fun, don't we?  Thanks.
4/1/2010 1:35:48 PM
TMF United States
TMF
Thanks Ashton for clearing up who derek is.
4/1/2010 8:15:20 PM
Bethany United States
Bethany
i agree, fireflies is an adorable song and a lot of the songs are really cute and all that but they aren't uplifting spiritually. i'm not saying they're bad at all but if they're not going to build me up in my walk, it shouldn't be called Christian. that doesn't mean i shouldn't listen to it, but it shouldn't be considered Christian. and again, why use a pseudonym for God? sounds a lot to my like someone hiding their light under a basket.
4/7/2010 12:42:57 AM
JBonAir1 United States
JBonAir1
Great comments....and I'm TOTALLY jumping into this late, but...that's what I do. Smile  Bethany, I understand where you're coming from.  Now, I'm gonna get a little "hippie" on ya!  I'm spiritually uplifted by nature...just being in His creation, confirms His realness to me.  His name doesn't have to be mentioned, at all, to know that.  I see His presence in love, truth, beauty, and passion.  I see it in art, I hear it in music....Christian and secular alike.  I hear it in songs of praise, and in gut-wrenching songs of heartache being sung in small smoke filled bars.  His hand misses nothing.  In your bible, look at the Parables. Look at how Christ used every day situations, every day people, interacting with family, employers, and friends, living their lives... without a mention of His name.... to drive home the message of the Holy Spirit.

And...Fireflies, may not be uplifting you spiritually.... but it might be for someone else.  Or it might be uplifting you in a way you don't know...yet.  Smile  GOD BLESS YA BIG!!!
4/7/2010 3:59:41 PM
Allison United States
Allison
HEY BETHANY!Does everything have to be spiritual to you?! Gosh! Have a lil' bit of fun!
4/19/2010 8:42:22 AM
Ashley United States
Ashley
I love this song. It always brightens my day, and instantly puts me in a good mood. It's a great and uplifting reminder during my busy day to take time, relax, and not let the small things get me down. God is in control.
4/19/2010 9:11:14 AM
Juli United States
Juli
Bethany, just one thing: I have had severe physical pain from a variety of physical illnesses, my older sister is out of work & me& her argue a lot, my friend killed himself which brought back memories of my sister's death, I always feel helpless & unable to serve God, I battle severe depression, self-mutilation, & thoughts of suicide & in the past year. The first time I heard this song I thought it was kind of weird nut this song is cheerful, & sometimes when I'm in a really dark place in my life & really starting to sink into the hopelessness of everything I have heard this song & its just so offbeat that it just cheered me up so much also for me to know that God can use this guy (I read his myspace page awhile ago) & make him famous even for His purposes reminds me that the off beat people & music can still sometimes be seen in a way that you can't see yet. Besides if all he does is get people to see that Christian music can be cheery & upbeat & light-hearted or if all his music does is mean one less dirty or violent song is on mainstream radio then I don't see whats wrong with it.
4/19/2010 12:02:12 PM
Antonia United States
Antonia
that was a great letter
4/19/2010 12:33:07 PM
Amber United States
Amber
I do not understand this drive to condemn artists who are christian just because every song they sing doesn't blatantly sing of him. As an artists with paints if I feel inspired by the trees I paint them it doesn't make me less christian because my paintings are not all specifically blatantly God and Jesus.
My husband and I have a saying in our house "You can't save a tree with a flame thrower." And yes I understand there is one specific issue with trees I understand is "fixable" that way but what I mean is you are hard pressed to reach the world if you beat them up about what they lack.
Another way to think about it is this if you work as a bank teller at a bank and you are christian. You have the power to talk to everyone you see about God. Are you less of a Christian because you don't?
The world is in a sad state of affairs if Christians first thought about a song is "Oh he must be on an acid trip". First of all sleep deprivation (aka insomnia as stated in the song) dose strange things to your mind and second especially the song fireflies make me open my imagination and remember what it felt like to be child like. Isn't that what we are called to? Child like faith. Hmmm....
4/22/2010 1:13:34 AM
Brandon United States
Brandon
There is never a single reference in the Bible that something needs to be blatently spiritual to move someone spiritual. Shoot, I have been taught spiritual lessons listening to Queen. God uses even the ungodly to build up His people (check out Nehemiah) and many Godly people were not crazy super spiritual people (check out Enoch) So I think its awesome that owl city is not blatently Christian, it makes them reach groups they never would have otherwise with their music! Awesome sauce
4/25/2010 12:48:25 AM
JD United States
JD
Man, give Bethany a break. She didn't say that there's anything wrong with the guy, just that his music shouldn't necessarily be labeled Christian. I agree with her. If you are going to label something Christian, the content within it should be Christian.
4/30/2010 12:24:23 PM
Jonathan United States
Jonathan
I agree with jd. I understand that owl city's music might be posisitve, fun, and uplifting but in my eyes i don't think that's enough to let it be labeled "Christian Music". I'm not trying to be quick to judge, especially since I haven't heard all of their songs, but It always leaves me a little uncomfortable when a band has a whole album! to atleast mention Christ in one of their songs and they don't.

Just a thought:
If Christ really was the center of our lives don't you think it should show, to a great degree, in everything we do!?
6/2/2010 9:09:50 AM
Andra United States
Andra
Owl City is a fun band. I like their sound and style, and I don't question Adam's faith because only God knows who has been saved. But I agree with Jonathan.

Brandon, I agree that God uses even the wicked for His purposes (Romans 8:28), but His word also says to do all things for His glory (1 corinthians 10:31). Although Adam from Owl City professes his faith, his music does not glorify God nor is it distinct from the world (Rom. 12:2; Matt. 16:24-27). If I had not seen this blog post, I would have never guessed that the lead singer in Owl City is christian.
6/2/2010 9:12:50 AM
Andra United States
Andra
I would also note that his songs aren't dishonoring to God, and it's not wrong to listen to them. My point is just that, although Adam has professed his faith, the light of the gospel is not shining through his songs as it seems he would hope it does.
6/4/2010 7:56:08 AM
Bethany United States
Bethany
thanks all you lovely people for backing me. thers nothing wrong with the music, its just not christian. i loved what juli said. something like fireflies can be fun and cheer you up but its not christian and theres not necessarily anything wrong with that.
6/7/2010 6:15:33 PM
anonymous United States
anonymous
fireflies: this song is heard evry wher, even in skool. and pple have ther own meaning 4 this song. like my frend. she sed that it wuz the devils song cuz she saw it in u tube-about murder or somthing. i told her that pple have their own interpretations, and that it duznt seem bad-but she is hard.all i kan say is that i look at it the good way cuz ther aint nothin bad bout it.
6/14/2010 9:48:45 PM
Isaiah United States
Isaiah
I second JB.

As to something being "Christian..."

I tend to disagree that something must have a blatant mention of God, your relationship with God, or something about the Bible to be considered Christian. In all reality, to be considered Christian (IE, Christ-like), something must merely align with Christ's heart and mind. Christ-like.

So, a painting of a house can be Christian. A song about fireflies can be Christian. Doing the laundry can be Christian. Talking to a friend about a new cellphone can be Christian. Is your heart aligned with God's? Then whatever it gives birth to out of that is, well... Christian.

Saying this - I believe Fireflies is Christian. I believe it comes from a God-given sense of optimism and happiness, and a desire to share it.

I also disagree about his music not glorifying God and not being different - but I've said enough. ;)
6/30/2010 10:14:50 AM
KatieR United States
KatieR
I think its great that Adam is a Christian! Especially since he is played on Star94. A lot of people don't really listen to the lyrics but hopefully once this gets spread around the world more and more people will become more aware of what these artists are writing in all of these cool songs!! I love to know hear Adams songs, and now i can enjoy them even more because they are written about God and what He is doing in Adams life. Live and Love for God!!! He is the Almighty. And the Alpha and Omega. Without Him we would not be alive to this day.
6/30/2010 10:15:45 AM
KatieR United States
KatieR
***I love to hear Adams songs,
7/3/2010 4:51:53 PM
Angel United States
Angel
people, people. As anonymous said, everyone has their own interpretations of the song, fireflies. Some people may think that he's lost his mind, others just that he's playing with fireflies, or that it could have a serious Christian meaning. Just because some people think differently doesn't mean that it is exactly wrong! Everyone has their own imagination, and people think differently. Don't expect everyone to think like you do! Unless if Adam himself comes to you and tells you that your interpretation is incorrect, then believe what you want to believe.

As for showing Christ in everything you do, yes, you should... but it doesn't mean that you always will. It's like saying that every time that an ice cream man drives down the street, you should stop them to change them to testify about Christ. No, the song doesn't say God's name in it, but neither does Cross the Line by Superchick. That doesn't mean Superchick isn't a christian either, does it?

Don't go getting your wings in a bunch and saving trees by overwatering them. Arguing about whether its a christian song or not won't change the meaning, now will it?
7/3/2010 4:54:24 PM
Angel United States
Angel
-btw, the song is awesome. Enjoy it.
7/27/2010 9:17:41 AM
carolyn United States
carolyn
there lyrics are so random is cool