Sep 12 2012
Those Not-so-Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Mamie...

Woah.

This blog entry will probably not make a lot of sense. I am a walking zombie...but it is the best feeling in the world! We welcomed our daughter Mamie Grace into the world just 4 days ago.

First, let's address the name.

We either get - "How cute!" or "Oh. (awkward pause) that's nice" - it's a love it or hate it name. We love it.

You say it like Amy with an M in the front. It was a semi-popular name in the 1920's...don't be jealous. Mamie Eisenhower was a first lady. Meryl Streep nicknamed her daughter Mamie. That's all I got.

We named our beauty Mamie because it is my husband's Grandma's name...and his Great Grandmother's name. When we told Rod's mom the name...she cried like a baby. That was the only reaction I cared about. She loved it. Grace is my great grandmother's name. I love the legacy my daughter carries...a legacy of strong, beautiful women.

We call her Mames, Mamers, Mamie Bean, Mamie Boo,  and it's only been 4 days.

She is so content. A happy girl. Except when we change her diaper, or bathe her...Then she screams like a stuffed pig. It makes me laugh.

Flashback to 4 days ago and I can't believe we are here. I was induced at 1pm on Saturday the 8th. Mamie had low amniotic fluid, and it was time for her to come out. In the hours that followed, I could tell something was wrong. The nurses were so wonderful keeping things smooth, but with each contraction, Mamie's heartbeat slowed and that meant something bad. Within a few hours, I was on oxygen and they were hoping that things would progress quickly because she was under quite a bit of stress. Lots of doctors filled the room...NICU nurses, respitory therapists and I started to panic. I remember praying, "God, thank you for the last 9 months, I loved every moment of being pregnat. I'm not sure what is next...but please take care of my little girl."

Mamie was born at 11:03 with the cord wrapped around her neck. I know it is not TOTALLY uncommon, but it scared us for sure. She was born in 2 pushes (I rock...that's all there is to it.) :) and the doctors immediately took her. All you can do it wait. Will she be ok? She was perfect. No troubles. All of the "specialists" soon left us with our beautiful new baby. I couldn't stop crying...or shaking. I had a daughter.

Honestly, since then, it has been a blur. I thought I would just instantly remember everything I needed to about being a mom. Ha. I forgot the diaper bag today when taking her to the doctor. She pooped twice at the doctor. Of course she did. Also, WOW there is a lot of extra laundry! I am SO thankful my mom is here. She is our lifesaver. She leaves on Friday - she will have our butts whipped into shape by then. :)

*I apologize for using the words butt and poop in the above paragraph. I don't think you can write a blog about babies without using those words though..just sayin'

I have to say, the best moments of the past few days have been watching my husband and boys with Mamie. Hearing my husband say "I love you more than you will ever know" when he picks her up at three in the morning - makes me cry even now. He loves that little girl to the moon and back - and he's known her less than 100 hours. My boys are so excited to have "Mamie time" - They have a little one on one time with her everyday and I know it makes them feel grown up and special. She loves them right back - she never cries when they hold her and I think that is a gift from God. ;)

One final note. The first day after you have a baby you feel pretty good. You can breathe, the belly goes down a bit and you think - yeah - I look good. The second day after you have a baby, reality hits. Yuckers. I got some work to do. I saw a mom in the hospital waiting room as we left who had a baby that could not have been more than a few weeks old. She was stick thin, no residual belly and she looked liked she stepped out of a magazine. I didn't say anything...just sighed. My husband must have seen her...looked over at me and said "You are beautiful." He kissed me, and I felt beautiful...even 2 days after having a baby - wearing sweats - with no makeup. Ladies, that is an awesome man right there. I will remember that moment forever.

I walked out of the hospital 2 days ago a different person. I am now the mother of a beautiful girl. What a wonderful new beginning. I cannot wait to spend each day with her.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (56) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

9/13/2012 4:44:09 PM
Becky R United States
Becky R
I love this post, but that picture just put a huge smile on my face.  Congrats!  Also, I always thought you were beautiful, Mandy.
9/13/2012 4:51:32 PM
Kim Killer United States
Kim Killer
Love this!  Got me all choked up and watery eyed!  Enjoy every second, Mandy...even though we miss you like crazy in the mornings! God Bless <3 Kim k.
9/13/2012 4:54:51 PM
Liz Zacharias United States
Liz Zacharias
The blog post made me cry!
9/13/2012 4:55:21 PM
Lisa United States
Lisa
The power was out for our Air1 Station. I have been driving my husband bonkers wondering if you had the baby and were okay! I'm so glad to hear that Mamie Grace is here. BTW, LOVE the name! Our daughter is Ryan Grace and it's a love it/hate it name too.Congrats!!! Enjoy!!! I have 2 great boys but I love having a daughter too.
9/13/2012 4:58:59 PM
tasha United States
tasha
congratulations Mandy! she is beautiful Smile as always, u made me laugh. I can't wait to have kids. enjoy ur time off but remember u are missed Smile
9/13/2012 5:05:00 PM
Becca United States
Becca
Mandy, I COMPLETELY know where you were coming from in the hospital. I was induced as well and my son had the EXACT same thing happen. His heart rate dropped with every contraction and I was on Oxygen. My doctor eventually offered me a C-section and I went for it. (I'd been in labor for about 12 hours at that point.) Like Mamie, my son was born with the cord wrapped around his neck. My mom has the most powerful picture to me. It's of my all the people working on my son in the nursery.. You couldn't even SEE him in the middle of it all! Her reasoning behind it: if he had to be life-flighted to the nearest NICU, I would know that he was being taken care of.

One great thing, I had set my Facebook account up to accept text messages and told my mom how to do it. She was able to keep the family updated via Facebook while I was in the OR and recovery!

I'm so glad things are going well for you. Congrats on the new little one! As you know, they grow up too fast, so cherish these moments!
9/13/2012 5:05:58 PM
Gabe Manrique United States
Gabe Manrique
I have not shed a single tear for 3+ decades. Until now. I am so happy for you and your family. I forgive you for using B and P in your post.
9/13/2012 5:07:55 PM
Tammy United States
Tammy
I was never lucky enough to have a son, but there is something "different" special about having a daughter. I have two and I still remember the feeling I had the first time I called them my girls. Congratulations! Life will never be the same for you, your husband or your boys!
9/13/2012 5:08:37 PM
Sandy Sandmeyer United States
Sandy Sandmeyer
Love this post.  I had the same thing happen with my son, who really didn't want to be born but was forced after he was 11 days late.  Miss you in the morning, but you take all the time you need.
9/13/2012 5:10:44 PM
Sherry Anderson United States
Sherry Anderson
Wow! Amazing! As I write through the tears...I know our Father gives us such wonderful gifts at perfect moments. I too have two sons & a daughter. They all are my heart. I pray blessings on your family. I did find myself most excited to learn Mamie had arrived!! We are all in the family, right?? Enjoy!!
9/13/2012 5:12:56 PM
Tasha United States
Tasha
Mandy -- You ROCK!
Thanks for this post - I've been having some 'withdrawls' since you left the show up to the guys!
9/13/2012 5:16:17 PM
Pam Broderick United States
Pam Broderick
What a beautiful post, Mandy! And I love Mamie's name! I think the older names are coming back. I have 6 children, so I understand what you mean about watching your husband and your older children bonding with the newest addition. I have 3 sons and 3 daughters ages 24, 19, 17, 15, 13, and 9, and I still get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside watching my almost 6ft tall sons giving big hugs to our 9 year old daughter, and all my kids laughing together and truly enjoying each other's company. Congratulations to all of you, and all the adventures ahead of you all! God bless!
9/13/2012 5:19:30 PM
Amanda United States
Amanda
Mandy,

It's so great to hear you and your family are doing so well, congrats!!! Smile I just recently was blessed with a beautiful daughter 10 months ago after having two amazing sons and the feeling when you finally hold your daughter is amazing. Not that I don't adore my sons, it's just different when a mother has a daughter. The men in my life (my husband and two boys) adore her and am constantly in awe of perfect three little blessing God gave my husband and myself. Be blessed and enjoy all of it, I know you do Smile
9/13/2012 5:20:14 PM
Linda S United States
Linda S
Mandy - That was a well-written zombie blog!!  Your posts have a tendancy to make me laugh and cry at the same time, which results in odd looks from my family!!  May God continue blessing you and your family.
P.S.
You do indeed ROCK!
P.S.S.
So does your husband for being attentive and saying the right thing at the right time!
9/13/2012 5:22:20 PM
Brandi United States
Brandi
A content and happy baby is a result of content and happy parents!  Baby's can read your every emotion ... I learned that the hard way!!  Congratulations and God Bless!!
9/13/2012 6:15:58 PM
Beth Ann United States
Beth Ann
Love it, especially the name!  Just had my 3rd baby 12 weeks ago so I can relate.  I only pushed through one contraction which is super.  And my first was born under very similar circumstances... low heart rate, lots of extra folks.  She had the cord wrapped around her neck three times and over her shoulder and through her legs twice.  I just like to say she came gift wrapped!
9/13/2012 6:29:44 PM
Erin United States
Erin
So happy for you Mandy!!  And your little angel was born on my birthday!  I will always remember.  So glad you both are happy and healthy and I wish I could be there. You will LOVE having a daughter.  Smile
9/13/2012 7:01:42 PM
Tricia United States
Tricia
Congrats, Mandy and family!  A new baby is a wonderful thing.  My new (and 4th) baby is already 9 months old.  Time flies!!  Just have to say... a momma's body is a beautiful thing.  Maybe not by the world's standards, but for a husband and our Father it definitely is.
9/13/2012 7:11:41 PM
Caitlin United States
Caitlin
Uh, you had me crying through the whole thing. I'm so happy that you are over the moon happy. You have a beautiful little girl thereSmile
9/13/2012 7:38:15 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
You are blessed!!!  Smile
9/13/2012 7:43:47 PM
Kerry United States
Kerry
My daughters name is Nami Grace. Pronounced nomi. My family and friends loved it. My husbands family hated it. Nami means wave and I pray for her to be a Wave of Grace as she grow from baby to adult. Sounds like Mamie will be full of Grace to. She is so beautiful.
9/13/2012 7:45:52 PM
Kim S. United States
Kim S.
So glad that she's finally here. I love that picture!!
9/13/2012 9:57:21 PM
Stefanie United States
Stefanie
You made me cry, and I'm not even a big baby-person!  Congratulations on your sweet gift from God, and praise Him for a safe delivery!
9/14/2012 5:51:28 AM
Linsey United States
Linsey
Congrats Mandy!! I am so happy for you & your precious family! As I read this I could not stop crying! It is so sweet!! BTW- I LOVE the name Mamie! You are truly blessed! Praying for you & your family! Smile
9/14/2012 5:52:11 AM
Vicki United States
Vicki
Thank you for making me laugh and cry all in the same post!  I think I'm going to read it over and over and over....  Smile  Congrats to you and your beautiful family!  I LOVE the photo - you are blessed.
9/14/2012 7:09:55 AM
Marti United States
Marti
Congratulations to you and your family.  I have followed your journey on the radio with you and also with my daughter who gave birth to her 1st daughter on the 7th! Sons are awesome but as a mother of 3 daughters they are double awesome and daddy's and big brothers spoil them rotten! I have been blessed to stay home with my daughter this week also.  Being a grandma rocks too! Will be praying for you and  your family! We have both been blessed with pretty and healthy little girls!
9/14/2012 8:36:32 AM
April United States
April
Mandy, first of all...congrats! We miss hearing you in the mornings but you enjoy every minute of your leave with your precious little one. I have a 14 month old. She is the first child for my husband and myself. My mother passed away when I was 4 1/2 months pregnant last year. (This was her first grandchild.) My husband & I named our little girl, Carolyn after my mom. This is not exactly a popular name but it is what it means and stands for that means the most to me. My father cried when he held her for the first time and when we told him her name. Sadly, he passed away just a little over 2 months after our little Carolyn made her debut. My whole point, we are all blessed in one way or another. It's realizing that you are blessed. That's the important thing. I enjoyed reading your post and I look forward to you getting back to work.
9/14/2012 2:04:50 PM
Ana K United States
Ana K
Congratulations Mandy!  She is beautiful!  Loved reading this post.
9/14/2012 3:10:33 PM
Joanne H United States
Joanne H
Happy to hear the delivery went well - my 2nd child was similar, he was born just 30 minutes after arriving at the hospital(too quick for any pain meds or blockers), low heart rate almost c-section, 2 pushes cord around neck twice lips were blue. But all was fine as with your Mamie.
Parenthood is wonderful, yes they pick up on any emotions/feelings of the people around them so you must have a well adjusted family! God has blessed you tremendously.
9/16/2012 5:09:56 AM
Christi Renner United States
Christi Renner
Congrats!  My jaw dropped when I heard the name...my dad had a cousin who was named Mamie Grace...she was in her 80's when she went home a few years.  She was a great woman of God. And a staple in our community.  She is missed but I'm sure she is having a great time sitting with the Father.
9/16/2012 5:36:52 PM
Melanie United States
Melanie
Such a precious photo! Congrats!
9/17/2012 7:20:27 AM
BettyJo United States
BettyJo
She is adorable!! Congrats to u n ur family Smile God's most precious gift is children.
9/17/2012 7:51:39 AM
Marilyn United States
Marilyn
Mandy, that is the sweetest story! I have 2 boys, so I can relate to that lifeSmile Always wanted a girl, you are truly blessed, congrats! And, we miss you in the morning, as I make breakfast, get the boys ready for school, well not this week, b/c the teachers are still on strike, we love to hear your crazy boy stories! It always makes us laugh, and feel normalSmile  Congrats, Mamie is a beauty!
9/17/2012 8:07:37 AM
Lori United States
Lori
Thank you for sharing these precious days with us! As a mom of 2 boys and a little girl, I understand completely the sweetness that comes from watching them together. Enjoy it now and in the days to come. Many blessings to you and your family!  ~lm
9/17/2012 11:17:58 AM
Kelly United Kingdom
Kelly
Congratulations Mandy & to your whole family. I'm so glad everything went ok for you and Mamie. Smile Enjoy being a mom again. Greetings from England. Smile
9/17/2012 5:51:03 PM
jthaney United States
jthaney
Congratulations to you all, may God's peace fill your home!!
9/18/2012 6:17:52 AM
Elizabeth Jordan United States
Elizabeth Jordan
Mandy,
First let me say...  I love listening to you on Air 1! You remind me of a friend of mine that moved far away. I miss her. We get to see each other every couple of years. I think of her every time I hear you.
Thank you for sharing these beautiful moments with us all. What a wonderful family you have. I love the  name (Mamie Grace). I think it is beautiful and unique. I am so glad that you and Mamie are home and doing well.
I have a girl and a boy. It is amazing to see the differences in two children that are raised the same way in the same home. WOW! No doubt you will learn from and be amazed by your new little one every day. I hope you have fun on this new adventure. I am praying for you and your family. God Bless You!
Elizabeth / South GA
9/18/2012 6:35:59 AM
Joy United States
Joy
This picture is the most precious picture.  It made me cry.  God is so good to give us these little gifts.

9/18/2012 6:54:56 AM
Jenny United States
Jenny
Thank you, Mandy, for sharing your joys and special gift a newborn with all of us. Children are such a blessing and little Miss Mamie is just precious! Everytime I see her pictures, I get a MAJOR baby bug! I have three awesome children of my own and I know what a trial and blessing they can be. I'm happy for you and your family in the birth of your new baby girl. Best wishes to your whole family. I pray that God will pour his blessings out to you in abundance!
9/18/2012 7:50:09 AM
Jackie United States
Jackie
Rod, Mandy, Jack and Owen -

What a wonderfully blessed family you have!  Mamie rounds things out to add another female on your side, Mandy!  You share the most remarkable moments and I thank God for your wit and humor, your insight and experience as a mother and a wife.  God is using you in amazing ways and I'm so glad to know He has blessed your family so greatly with Mamie!!  Have FUN and enjoy every moment.  I know you will...  Smile
9/19/2012 6:57:10 AM
Krista United States
Krista
I have a friend that is from China and when she was picking her American name, she decided to go with Mamie.  We actually started to call her Mae Mae which she said means little sister in Chinese so if your boys need another nickanme for her, they can call her that.  But she is absolutely adorable and I'm so happy that your family has been blessed with her and her with you.
9/19/2012 8:17:09 AM
Londa Burke United States
Londa Burke
Mandy thank you for this post!

I wasn't sure of the name when I heard it on Air1 the other day, but after your story, it really is beautiful.

Congratulations on your baby girl!
9/19/2012 8:24:28 AM
Jamie Zanoni United States
Jamie Zanoni
Congratulations!!! I have about 10 weeks left before I meet my little boy. Loved your post! It had me in tears.
9/19/2012 9:02:47 AM
genevie United States
genevie
This blog made me cry! So beautiful! Maybe I am extra emotional because I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with my first! But this touched my heart. Congratulations to all of you! Smile
9/19/2012 11:35:00 AM
Stephanie United States
Stephanie
What a beautiful picture.  I love the fact safe with brother, and that she is taking after mommy in the sweats.  So cute.  The name is very unique and that is wonderful who wants a common boring name. God Bless you and your beautiful family.  Miss hearing you in the mornings.  keep being a blessing and hugs prayers and love to all
9/19/2012 5:21:12 PM
Amy United States
Amy
That is so sweet...especially about the boys getting one-on-one time with her and your husband re-affirming your beauty leaving the hospital. Smile The picture of your son holding her is too precious. Yay for Mamie-Beans! :-D
9/20/2012 5:36:17 AM
Erika United States
Erika
I just love the name!!!!!! It reminds me of Miss Mamie on The Walton's. I hope your little girl is just as spunky and full of fun time. Enjoy her while she's little, and I can't wait to hear all about when you're able to come back. Enjoy your time off and know that we're all praying for you!!!
9/21/2012 9:20:10 AM
Tyron South Africa
Tyron
Congrats from SA I listen to Guys streaming in my office your show ROCKS and so does your cutie.
We have a little girl and boy the best things we have ever been gifted from above
9/21/2012 12:43:48 PM
kalimae United States
kalimae
She is precious absolutely PRECIOUS she was born on my birthday too! witch means.....she was also born on Peter Furlers birthday GO SEPTEMBERINIANS!
MISS YOU MANDY DAN IS JUST NOT THE SAME!
kalimae
9/21/2012 1:17:21 PM
Elisabeth United States
Elisabeth
Mandy! I just read your last two blogs at work. I should be working, but I couldn't stop reading! Made me tear up a couple of timesSmile Anyways, Mamie is SOOOO cute!!!! I LOVE her hair!!! Congratulations to you and your family. Such a sweet life you have been blessed withSmile
9/22/2012 6:56:28 AM
james hall United States
james hall
Congrats and you're missed.I love the name Mamie,it's what my niece used to call me when she was a small child.She always called me uncle mamie cause she could not say uncle James.I had forgotten so thanks for the memorries.
9/22/2012 11:47:07 AM
Cynthia McCormack United States
Cynthia McCormack
Those girls are wonderful!  I have 2 amazing young men and 1 beautiful daughter whose name is Mallari Grace.  Enjoy your time with all of them.  So happy for all of you.  Such a special bond between dad's and daughter's.  There's something special between brothers and sisters too.  Cherish those moments!  Love the name!  I've known amazing women with that name.  You named her right!
Enjoy your beautiful life!
9/23/2012 7:30:45 PM
pamela United States
pamela
Thank you so much for sharing. Babies are the best.
9/23/2012 11:43:20 PM
Vaughan New Zealand
Vaughan
Congratulations Smile

What a lovely head of hair your daughter has. I found that using silk and satin pillow cases in the bassinet/cot helped reduce hair loss in our babies.
Oh and of you dont get the housework done because of lack of sleep then its no problem lol if anyone complains then tell them to do it for ya Laughing
9/24/2012 4:50:21 AM
linda switzer United States
linda switzer
congrats to your special addition Mamie, God is awesome...my second oldest child when he was born his cord was wrapped around and was born dead But God had a plan and they took my Jacob and revived him and he is 28 and a very smart young man God has a plan and makes a way for all obstacles..Lords Peace Mamie and family....
10/26/2012 9:15:05 AM
Ryan Lewis United States
Ryan Lewis
Love how you captured these many unique moments in just a few paragraphs. Thanks for taking us on this journey with you guys. Love her name! You guys sharing the celebration of new beginnings makes life so interesting for the rest of us to see and for us to cherish our own special God given life moments, now and when these moments happens for many. Seeing how family oriented you guys are is just the way God intended life to be and it's motivating! Love the "Mamie time". The whole family is involved in raising her. You writing this blog will last forever. Mamie will have one of many moments captured in time that she will one day read. She will see many who were involved in the celebration of her life. Blessings to you guys!