Aug 15 2012
That better not be me!

My son drew this picture last night. I asked if it was me. He said no. He was trying to spare my feelings. It was totally me ;) Never mind the one eye and pig nose, why is a 9 month pregnant lady wearing a tank top? :) He told me this was actually a very skinny lady...I should see some of his other drawings. It kinda made me feel better. :) Later that night, we were in a store picking up a few last items for back to school. Being 9 months pregnant, I'm large and in charge. I don't feel great about myself to say the least. Bending over, reaching the top aisle...all tough. A group of men walked into the store and I noticed quickly that they were are pointing at me and laughing. Look at the big pregnant lady. It crushed me. I didn't think the boys noticed. It took me a minute to regroup, and in that moment my oldest son Jack spoke up. He said, "Mom those guys were mean. It's ok. I know you feel icky, but I still think you are beautiful." It may sound cheesy, but I know that God used Jack in that situation because that is exactly what He would say to me..and you. We may feel worthless, but we need a reminder of who we actually are. No matter how "icky" we feel - God tells us we are beautiful. Even if you have one eye, a pig nose and are 9 months pregnant in a tank top :) I see this picture in a new way now. I see this picture as a loving drawing from a son to his mom. A son who thinks his mom is beautiful.

IMG_0232.JPG (1.59 mb)

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (10) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

8/15/2012 7:06:32 AM
Courtney United States
Courtney
I love little kids drawings! We are all beautiful in God's eyes and thats all that matters! Forget about those guys. I know what its like to have guys point and laugh. It hurts but just remember you are beautiful no matter what!
8/15/2012 7:21:10 AM
Jenn DeLacy United States
Jenn DeLacy
Thanks for sharing, I love how God uses our kids to speak for him. And as princesses we are most beautiful in all the universe.
8/15/2012 9:27:51 AM
Annette United States
Annette
That was such a sweet story.  It's beautiful how God gives us these moments and even more beautiful when we feel them and give the glory to God!
8/15/2012 2:24:55 PM
Kelsey United States
Kelsey
That was a very sweet story. My husband and I are expecting as well so I understand how you feel. This is our first but the way that your son spoke to you made me smile. I use the word "icky" to describe how I feel all the time. I think it is extremely sweet that he comforted you while strangers were being mean. Its so neat how children pick up on things going on around them.
8/15/2012 3:52:21 PM
Beth United States
Beth
that is so amazing mandy! goes to show just how much jesus loves us by using our precious children. remember you are a precious vessel that god uses to bring life. god bless you!!
8/15/2012 4:12:03 PM
Carol Anne United States
Carol Anne
Mandy, I totally cried with you this morning, as you were telling this story. I don't understand why people have to be so mean and cruel. It's so true, that out of the mouth of babes, comes truth. How awesome that God used Jack to say exactly what you needed to hear in that moment. What a great boy, you have there, and very intuative! You've done a great job with him. Be proud, Mama! Much love, and thanks for always making my mornings awesome!
8/15/2012 10:39:48 PM
Robert United States
Robert
You and your husband have and are instilling the love of Christ in your son's heart. The love that looks through our outward appearance and loves us for the spirit inside. The love that choose to lay down his life to save ours. A love that knows the true value of what we're worth. Even when the world tries to tell us otherwise, Christ can whisper it to remind us ... Isn't it wonderful he choose to use your own child to whisper from.
8/16/2012 10:02:31 AM
Joe United States
Joe
Mandy, you are totally beautiful on the inside and out.  And the coolest part is you will get to meet that amazing baby inside of you very soon.  I pray that you will stay strong and enjoy these last few days of quiet.  PS  good luck on the interview.  Although, it will be bad enough missing you on maternity leave, please come back.. Smile

New Hampshire needs you!
8/16/2012 11:21:08 AM
Claudia United States
Claudia
Thank you for sharing, brought tears to my eyes
9/14/2012 5:28:59 AM
Vicki United States
Vicki
I am just now reading your posts, and I felt the need to comment on this one first...  You ARE so beautiful inside and out, and to think someone could be so mean in the presence of a lady expecting AND her children!  The LEAST they could have done was offer assistance.  There is absolutely NOTHING icky about a pregnant lady, even at 9 months...  you were simply glowing and those men were too simple-minded to see that!  One day, they will probably look back on their actions and wish they could turn back time.  You're son sounds simply precious!  Your words are making me cry at work this morning...  thank you for sharing your stories!