Apr 11 2012
Two Awesome Tips for Relating to Humans

I don't "get" non-verbal communication. It doesn't make "sense" to me.

That said, it clearly makes sense to the humans around me, so I am willing to learn and adapt.  Here are two pointers for human-relating.

As a bonus, I've apparently made one of these videos vertical, and the other horizontal. You're welcome for this, as well.

4/12/2012 11:50:31 AM
Brendt Waters United States
Brendt Waters
The head nod is especially effective from a distance at which the eyebrow thing might not be noticed.
4/12/2012 12:25:09 PM
Ren United States
Ren
I think my coolness rating instantly improved just watching your instructional video! I feel better than I have in years!
4/12/2012 1:32:59 PM
Joel Zehring United States
Joel Zehring
Careful man, your wife might think you're flirting with the entire internet.
4/12/2012 2:51:46 PM
Danielle United States
Danielle
"Tips for Relating to Humans" would make an awesome series. My very social sister likes to teach me how "normal" people interact with other normal people. This often leaves me even more confused. /Why/ do people like it when you look them in the eye? /Why/ is it weird to infodump people with everything you just learned about black holes? /Why/ do people have a problem with me stimming? This was no different. I tried to do the eyebrow thing and felt like I was trying to look surprised.

Also, I love how you factor [Conducive to Easy Escape] into choosing how you stand.
4/12/2012 10:01:26 PM
Maria United States
Maria
I laughed at the eyebrow raise and head nod yesterday, and then I noticed myself do it today when I was walking past a friend.  I guess it is a thing.  Who knew?
4/13/2012 11:33:05 AM
Cheri United States
Cheri
Ok, I have the head nod thing goin on, but the raising of the eyebrows..not so much.. I just look like I am really surprised at the unexpected encounter.
4/13/2012 12:39:42 PM
Francisco Velazquez United States
Francisco Velazquez
i have tried the cool guy stance but it seems to make my legs tired and i start to kneel because im falling and well there i am with one kneeling on one knee and it looks like im asking everyone  around me to marry me which looks completely and utterly awkward but its worth it because im cool now....
4/13/2012 12:40:36 PM
Francisco Velazquez United States
Francisco Velazquez
i have tried the cool guy stance but it seems to make my legs tired and i start to kneel because im falling and well there i am kneeling on one knee and it looks like im asking everyone  around me to marry me which looks completely and utterly awkward but its worth it because im cool now....
4/13/2012 3:40:00 PM
Maritza United States
Maritza
I too watch peoples "socal interactions" I'll have to say...Some are quite the strangeness...But i guess thats "normal" But I really dont get it. I think it's cool that you're posting this.....It really helps...oh and also that I am not the only one that watches people's "normaleties" Hahaha Tong Thank you!
4/13/2012 9:27:09 PM
Rick United States
Rick
I was planking while watching this and it made my plank more awesome. I tried the nod and the eyebrow thing with my planking pals and their planks improved by maybe 36%! Thanks!
4/19/2012 12:10:10 PM
rae United States
rae
heh... usually when I'm standing for any length of time, I end up standing with my legs crossed... it looks really weird, but it keeps me from putting all my weight on one leg and from feeling like I'm going to fall over. But it's not at all conducive to easy escape Tong
4/20/2012 3:08:56 PM
Beth United States
Beth
I've found that holding my baby (or any baby) makes me cooler and more approachable. She draws everybody in and then I get to meet new people I would have otherwise avoided. But carrying a baby around does not make for quick escapes. And the Data comment brought back wonderful memories from my childhood. 8-)
4/24/2012 5:28:41 PM
Laura S. United States
Laura S.
I always stand that way and i never even notice it until i look down at my feet. lol!
Love the videos to teach me how to head-nod the right way! Laughing