Mar 21 2012
Excerpts: The 417 Rules of Awesomely Bold Leadership

It's taking me a while to finish this, but I've read a lot of extremely impressive leadership books from some extremely awesome-sounding leaders, and now I'm coming out with my own leadership book, that I hope will out-awesome all of them.  Here are some excerpts:

Rule #31  Awesomely Bold Leaders Lead Authentically

...and, gentlemen, there's no getting around it:  To awesomely, boldy lead in an authentic way, you must be authentically awesome.  There's no room for deception.

This occurred to me as I was out flying MiG's with my Saturday morning Leaders' Bible Study and Adventure Group:  Leaders must be true-blue.  Your followers can see right through you if you are not truly, deeply, honestly, as awesome as your leadership.

Search your heart.

That morning, as I buzzed the homes of the men who oppose me on the Elder Board, I could see the look in their eyes.  We may quibble over budget issues, but -- never forget this -- they knew I wasn't just posing as a bold leader.  I am a bold leader, through and through.  It's important to be authentic, and...

--------------------------

Rule #112  Awesomely Bold Leaders Lead the Leading Leaders of Visionary Leaders

...so gentlemen, you can't get around this.

The other day, while I was dead-lifting 635 pounds, I remembered a time I led a group of men up Kilimanjaro, where I introduced them to my good friend, Norman Schwarzkopf.

Norman looked at me, his eyes moist.  "Thank you," he said.  "For taking the time to lead me.  I lead everyone, but you're the only one who led me, and I'm one of the leading leaders of visionary leaders.  Thank you."  He tried to hug me.

It' was right then, when I realized you can't be distracted by everyone who's clamoring for your time.    Be like Jesus, who Himself chose only proven leaders, like Peter.  Jesus knew His time was limited.  He didn't have time to "mess", as the kids say.  And neither do you.   Don't let teenage guys with problems distract you, or some guys who want you to go fishing.   Pick proven leaders.

And in this day and age, in today's churches, it's not enough to only lead leaders.  It's not enough to lead leaders of other leaders.  You must prioritize: You must lead only the leading leaders of other visionary leaders.

Remember:  Without your visionary leadership, with the leadership of leading leaders of visionaries, the people will perish.

And then recall #16:  If your people perish, you will not be selected to facilitate a break-out group at my next satellite seminar.

3/22/2012 12:17:04 AM
Angela United States
Angela
These are hysterical!!!
3/22/2012 1:17:35 AM
Mike Taylor United Kingdom
Mike Taylor
I <i>love<i> this series, and I'm delighted to see it back again for a new audience.  For some reason, the bit that always cracks me up is "He tried to hug me."  Says so much with so few words.
3/22/2012 6:10:58 AM
beth mccarthy United States
beth mccarthy
Thanks for a good laugh. Crying here.
3/22/2012 6:43:55 AM
Keith United States
Keith
Nice, very nice.  Take me to your leader!
3/22/2012 11:26:25 AM
J Robert Doherty United States
J Robert Doherty
When you're a leader, it's important to stop every once in a while and look behind you. If there is no one there, you're just going for a walk
3/22/2012 11:39:11 AM
brant h United States
brant h
When you're a LEADING leader of leading leaders, you have to look behind you, and then behind the guy behind the guy behind you, and see if anyone is following him.

Or you're just out for a walk.
3/22/2012 12:03:52 PM
Breanna United States
Breanna
"One for each day of the year, plus a bunch of days that would be in the next year after that" authentically made me spit lemonade on myself like the bold leading leader of leaders I am.

AND I LOVED IT.
3/22/2012 12:22:50 PM
John K United States
John K
I came across this post because my search engine picked up the key words "fishing" and "leaders". I thought this blog would give me advice on how to best rig my lures when trolling for bass on Lake Wichakitawockawoo.

I feel deceived.
3/22/2012 3:09:39 PM
Don Pennington United States
Don Pennington
Hey Brant,
I miss you brother but I guess that was not really an awesomely learder-like thing to say. Because if I miss you that means that I am not the leader of awesomely leader-like type leaders...Well I digress...I just wanted to say that having read your blog on the leadership book, you must have ready my book, The 418! awesomely Leader like things that leaders of utmost leaders who train the leaders of visionary leaders, do. So you left one out...
3/22/2012 3:14:11 PM
Travis Hickox United States
Travis Hickox
So humbled that I got to spend a few weeks with you at church camp in the 90's. I now know why I am so boldly awesome. Not kidding...just ask. I will tell you.
3/22/2012 8:51:44 PM
Liese Carberry United States
Liese Carberry
Dude, the hair. There was this guy that used to work at KSBJ that totally had hair like that....oh wait....that was YOU! HAHAHA! Seriously, you have great hair. Oh and I loved the buzzing of the elders homes bit, good stuff.
3/23/2012 12:19:10 AM
Meg Davis United States
Meg Davis
And now we all want to know what happened at church camp in the 90's. Way to peak my interest then leave me pining Travis ...

Oh and Brant: I will follow your followers follower to validate your leading the lead of visionary leaders. Just doing my part. But watch out ... If we all follow each other and the world is round ... You might end up following the follower of the Leader's followers! The last shall be first!

Boo Yeah! Bonus points for me cause I lead and you just got "Jesus-Juked!"

So what was I saying? My point exactly.
3/23/2012 4:57:55 AM
John United States
John
Dude, you did an awesome job looking like Joel Osteen, if that's what you were trying to do. Only next time, you've gotta smile bigger. Tong
3/23/2012 2:34:56 PM
Peter Canada
Peter
Only next time, you've gotta smile bigger....and your photo needs to take up the whole cover!
3/24/2012 5:49:10 AM
Dave United States
Dave
Brant:

I love your insight combined with such good humor.

Your updated picture need to show you looking up and away with the glazed look of a true visionary leader.

Dave
3/26/2012 3:36:21 PM
Byron United States
Byron
As always - the man's got a great set of lenses to see the truth around him!  You definitely brighten my days at work with your show!

B-

Oh and PS… My God’s NOT DEAD > He’s surely ALIVE!!!
3/26/2012 3:46:36 PM
marina United States
marina
Okey my friend Brant....I am going to declare you as a Presidential Candidate at the American Elect website?.

Your hilariously way of leading people is Awesome...Ha!...Ha!.....<><
4/8/2012 6:15:54 PM
Christian United States
Christian
I thought it might interest you to know that I heard this entry read on a Conservative Christian internet talk radio station. The host was very appreciative of your veiled sarcasm and satire. Laughing