Mar 19 2012
Congratulations, Jason Russell

(I don't know Jason Russell.  I'd love to talk to him, someday, about all the stuff he's been through. What's strange, maybe: I didn't really want to talk with him before "the incident" last week in San Diego.  I'm sure he was a good interview before, but it's after something like this that someone becomes a fascinating interview.

I decided to write this to Jason, instead of about him, but it's not to give you the impression that I know him. I find occasionally writing this way helps me be more charitable, and feel things more deeply.  Perhaps someone who knows him can pass this along, if they deem it appropriate. I'll leave that to him or her.  The whole episode, and forcing myself to write about it, has made me truly pull for Jason, and - I didn't anticipate this - renewed my appreciation for the scandal that is the Gospel.)

---------

Jason, you're free.  You may not realize it, yet.  But you're profoundly free.

Your breakdown, your fallenness, your foolishness, your weakness, made national news.  Ours hasn't, yet. But everyone knows you are no Superman.  Everyone knows you are a man who cannot "hold it all together".  Everyone knows you are not to be placed on a pedestal.  Everyone knows you are a man who cannot be trusted to save the world.  Everyone knows you've got "issues".

Everyone knows, Jason, you are a human.

And, if you so choose, Jason, you can now have a freedom most will never experience.  This is because your fallenness was in the light of day.

That's the difference, of course, since every "Christian hero" - author, pastor, athlete, musician, whatever - would be utterly humiliated to have his own inner thoughts and private actions exposed to the light, for all to see.  Every single one of them, and every single one of us... utterly humiliated.  Of course, we're promised, in 1 Corinthians, that God "will bring to light what is hidden in darkness, and expose the motives of the heart."  But your brokenness has already been exposed.

...and that makes you a dangerous man.  You've got nothing to lose.  You've got no one to impress.  You've got no false "dignity" you've got to protect. Like Jim Bakker, who, after being released from prison, could walk in bars to freely talk to people about Jesus, you won't have to worry about scandalizing people who want to find fault with you.  The gig's already up:  You're not in the running for Moral Man of the Year.

Nothing to lose. Reputation? Shot. Like I say:  You're dangerous.  In the best way.

It's not a great movie, but it's sure a great scene, in Phone Booth, when Colin Farrell's character is forced, at gunpoint, to admit his shame to a national audience on CNN.  He's forced to confess everything - not only his hurtful philandering, but his desire to impress people, to be "cool", when deep down, he's really a fraud.  A whole nation, riveted in front of their televisions, now knows his deepest, darkest, insecurities.  And the scene ends, the movie ends, in a clear way: He's utterly humiliated.

And... utterly, completely relieved.

No more "rep".  No more pretending.  And, thing is, almost everyone is very, very concerned about how they are perceived, and deep down, would love to be relieved of this burden.  I think this is one reason we are to confess sin to one another.  It brings light to our shame, and the light prevails against it.

I don't know what you've been carrying on your back. I did get the impression, from the video (just speaking honestly here, with no clue what you were really thinking) that you wanted to be seen in a salvific light, for the children in Africa.  If so, that's pretty heady stuff.  I admire your desire to help, and share a desire to be significant. I wish we could, here and now, once and for all, find our significance in Christ, but I know it's a process for you and me and everybody.

So I don't know what happened, exactly. I just know your humiliating moment was in broad daylight.  That's the difference right now between you and us - the only difference.  Anyone who wants to claim otherwise is kidding themselves, and still trying to play the reputation game, trying to impress people, impress God, with how good we can pretend to be.

The Gospel astounds. God knows our darkest motives, our worst moments, our private shame, and is yet willing to say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant," because of what Jesus has done for us.  I simply can't imagine having everything brought into the light, and then hearing "Well done..."

I can't believe it!  My shame, brought into the light, and yet, "Well done..."  I can't believe it, and yet, there it is.

And there you are, brother.

Here's to the days ahead.  May we both walk in wisdom, and show our families, friends, neighbors, and enemies, a Jesus who's made a way to find freedom from our shame.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (47) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/19/2012 9:55:09 PM
Adam United States
Adam
He probably was carrying a lot inside to go into a baboon style rage and rape vehicles.  I mean that in the most serious and thoughtful way possible.  For a break that bizarre, there had to be some pretty dark stuff he struggled with.  I think people who don't keep all their secrets inside probably are healthier overall. Some stuff you probably shouldn't bring up, because conversations don't go to those places.  Even so, some people really respect candidness.  If you admit your faults and that you are a royally mucked up person too, with deep darkness in your soul; you become more approachable and you are freed.  They don't care about knowing all your dirty laundry, they know you a Christian aren't perfect and that is fine, great even, because you are a human just like them that won't judge them if they open up.  Maybe I'm very down to earth and that is why I hate charades and lies, but I present who I am pretty much always.
3/20/2012 6:59:31 AM
Ian United States
Ian
Very fitting for this story, I get a daily devotional from Chuck Swindoll and today's talked about genuine humility. Chuck quoted a Scottish preacher, James Stewart, who said "It is always upon human weakness and humiliation, not human strength and confidence, that God chooses to build His Kingdom; and that He can use us not merely in spite of our ordinariness and helplessness and disqualifying infirmities, but precisely because of them."

I think you're right Brant, he's got nothing to lose now and it's going to make him extremely dangerous (but effective). Now that he's had this moment of extreme exposure and vulnerability, he has a very unique opportunity to respond by embracing that weakness and receiving Christ's strength (2 Cor 12:9 - But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.)

As always, great perspective Brant, and thanks for sharing it. It's all too easy to have the same perspective as the world and to criticize him as another nut. You continually challenge me.
3/20/2012 9:40:45 AM
Hannahrose United States
Hannahrose
Brant, what a great article you did here for Jason Russell, as well as for all of us in a way, to think about... Thank you for speaking out.. I will be sharing this with everyone I know. God Bless you.
3/20/2012 9:44:25 AM
Lenny United Kingdom
Lenny
Out of interest, if it does come to light that Jason Russell is indeed a gay man will you guys offer the same amount of support and kind words?

Be interested to know your views.
3/20/2012 10:00:04 AM
brant United States
brant
Lenny, I absolutely would.

This said, it seems awkward to include "indeed", for a man who's married with two children.  For a discussion on affectations, gender, and same sex attraction, you might find the podcast (an item below) really interesting.

I wrote about this, too - not directly in response to this question, but might give you an idea - here:

www.air1.com/.../Breakfast-and-Honesty.aspx

3/20/2012 10:04:08 AM
Liz United States
Liz
All I can say is...Amen!!
3/20/2012 10:57:38 AM
Keith United States
Keith
Thank you Brant for posting this.  I must confess that when heard the news about Jason Russell, I snapped to judgment before thinking in a loving way toward him like you did.  I try not to do that, but I do.  I'm human like everybody else, and snapping to judgement is natural but... As a Christian, I must with the help of God's power and the grace He's given me, overcome the natural in order to perform the supernatural.

The kind of love you express for Jason is supernatural.  Thank you for posting it because it shattered the judgment in my heart.
3/20/2012 11:00:37 AM
Lenny United Kingdom
Lenny
Brant, I am glad you would.  Progress of a kind I guess.

I was deliberately being provocative with the ‘indeed’ comment to illicit your ‘Having said that ..” which was more telling.

A man being married with two children is not a de facto argument for not being gay, hasn’t been for a few decades now.

Hopefully in a few more decades with the help of the Kony campaign now highlighting the huge problem of right wing evangelical's attitudes towards homosexuality, you also, would be able to drop the "Having said that..."

Here's hoping....
3/20/2012 11:10:00 AM
Brian United States
Brian
Wow Brant!  That is deep.  That is awesome!  I'm sharing this on my FB.

Thanks!
3/20/2012 11:12:45 AM
Dustin United States
Dustin
Your words are a nice departure from knee-jerk reactions I've seen to Jason's breakdown...whether they applaud the Kony 2012 push or not.  Appreciate you taking us on a step into Jason's shoes.
3/20/2012 11:16:14 AM
Shannon United States
Shannon
Very well said Brant.  I was in the car briefly last night and I heard you mention the story and you mentioned were we supposed to take down our pics on Facebook and stop supporting the cause.  I am hopeful that all will say no to that.  The need in Africa is still there.

I love how you spoke of Jason being FREE!  We all have much that we hide, whether it is from shame or pain.  That is why we are not to judge others.  I admittedly felt disappointed at the news at first, but it quickly turned to sadness for Jason (and family).  There is pain there.  When we critisize someone in that moment, we can only make things worse.  We need to remember the compassion God put in us and the compassion he gives us every single day of our lives!

Shannon
3/20/2012 11:25:42 AM
Lisa United States
Lisa
I totally agree with this! Not everyone gets the opportunity to show their true selves in front of the world. I once met a young man working at a video game store. He had tattoos all over his arms. One was a script of some sort so I asked him what it said. I don't even remember what it was, but he said, "It's something I did a long time ago and it was really stupid because it doesn't even mean anything now. And the Bible College people I go to school with don't like it very much." I told him not to worry about it. That we all do things that are stupid and don't matter, except that our stupid things may not be written on our arms for everyone to see. I hope that young man can use the evidence of his past to minister to others, whereas my stupid things are hidden in my heart and mind, away from people and from the light and healing that only God can provide. I hope Jason Russell uses this incident to focus on his heart's passion and that others won't be so critical of his flaws. We all have them but how would we feel if our every mistake and error were on the front page of TMZ.com or People magazine?
3/20/2012 11:27:49 AM
brant United States
brant
Thanks for all the input on this!  FWIW, and I'm just one guy, but it's fascinating to read.

Shannon, Just to be clear: I wasn't telling people they should take down their KONY2012 pics. Just the opposite, actually.  While I haven't been a major supporter of this particular campaign, I want people to recognize that if it was a good cause BEFORE Friday's news about Russell, it's still a good cause.

Lenny,  agreed that marriage, and children, doesn't preclude same-sex attraction.  I don't imply that people who are publicly homosexual are *actually* attracted to the opposite sex, and just won't admit it.  I'm not sure why that same consideration shouldn't be extended to everyone.

3/20/2012 11:50:40 AM
Shannon United States
Shannon
No, no Brant.  I totally know you weren't saying take it down.  You were posing the question as if "is that what we are supposed to do, take it down, because of what happened"  I know you did not feel that way, but posing the question and then asking, WHY?  Why would you end support of a cause because of one man's actions, kind of thing.  I don't think that you were suggesting that anyone should take it down. Smile
3/20/2012 11:55:26 AM
Mary Jennings United States
Mary Jennings
"For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God," means just that..ALL. There is only one Savior, Jesus Christ Our Lord.  If we truly believe this like we quote it, we will realize that WE sin and fail and need the same grace this man needs. Mercy is given to those who offer mercy to others.  I have not totally made up my mind whether to support this cause or not, but this I know, the Lord has placed a tremendous burden for Jacob and his family on my soul. They need all of our prayers.  No doubt Satan wants to destroy them, but what he means for evil, God will use for good.  I have no doubt Jacob is a GOOD man with a big heart.  "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."  Luke 7:47  I pray Jacob's love will be magnified through this event.
3/20/2012 12:19:19 PM
Nate United States
Nate
Lenny, I don't understand why that subject even came into this discussion. If he hasn't come out gay, and he is married with two kids, why make comments implying that he is? It really sounds like you came into this discussion looking for a fight.
3/20/2012 12:21:30 PM
Heidi United States
Heidi
Brant, this is beautiful and true.  The rest of us all struggle with things that hold us back.  The only difference is that ours is in secret.

Blessings Mr Kony 2012.  I don't even know your name... but I see your struggle, and I pray for grace to be extended in your life.

3/20/2012 12:51:09 PM
Sylvanna United States
Sylvanna
@Nate , I was thinking the same thing, I make NO apologies For the Very Clear views in Gods Holy Scriptures but neither do I go looking for a Fight . ( speaking as someone with a lesbian and Bi background,and swingers lifestyle background) I greatly appreciate what you had to say Brant , your letter made me cry because I know what freedom  you speak of. God doesnt ask us to proclaim our sins to the world but to speak of them at the right moments to the right people so that they can see where God has brought us from , and what he is doing in our lifes . Thank you again !
3/20/2012 12:58:34 PM
Lenny United Kingdom
Lenny
Nate,

I am really not looking for a fight.  I applaud and encourage the conviction shown by Jason Russell.

But I do believe he is a repressed gay man who has had to get through life masking his true identity, that can take its toll, as we can all see.
3/20/2012 1:39:30 PM
Keith United States
Keith
@Lenny,

Lenny, the point of Brant's post here is that we are all repressing something and that something is called sin.  That sin may be lying, lust, theivery, idolatry, and yes, even homosexuality.

We've all got sin, whether we want to admit it or not.  We either have to give it over to God and die to our own flesh, or we will let the sin master us.
3/20/2012 1:51:38 PM
Beth United States
Beth
After reading some of the comments I really wanted to put my two cents worth in about the KONY 2012 Campaign. I comend their actions to wanting to help the people in Africa. I really want to know why do we need to go across the sea to help people when there are people in our own streets that need our help? That's my question.
3/20/2012 2:06:43 PM
Human Being United States
Human Being
I agree that we all have a sin problem, and that we all continue to have to deal with sin as Christians. So I am somewhat hesitant to judge Mr. Russell.

But Paul does tell us that it is those within the church we are supposed to judge, because they are the ones who have made the difficult decision to follow Jesus and strive to mortify sin.

As Jesus Himself said, "You will know them by their fruits." A good tree doesn't bear bad fruit. Now, I understand this was a one-time occurrence. But if evidence comes out that this was a secret lifestyle of his that he was hiding, then we have reason to doubt his profession.

Of course, I want Mr. Russell to be saved. I want to call him a brother. And I admit that I struggle with sin. This could have happened to me during a bad time in my life.

But like I said, if it's been a continuing habitual practice of sin, then there is reason for concern.

That said, I truly do hope that Mr. Russell is a Christian brother, and I don't want to be overly judgmental of his actions. We are all sinners.
3/20/2012 4:05:51 PM
Jenna United States
Jenna
This was a great blog, Brant. I totally agree on your perspective, and I appreciate you sharing it with so many people.

Who are WE to judge? We all have done scandalous things. Why is one worse than another? Sin is sin.
3/20/2012 4:20:03 PM
Amy United States
Amy
Brant,

What a beautiful letter.  I must say that after living in Africa for six years, and hearing about the horrible things happening with the Lord's Resistance Army, I have admired Jason Russell's passion and heart in all of this, even amidst the controversy.  From what I have seen of him, he seems to be a man of character, who has been doing what he thought was good and right.

When seeing the video of his break down, my heart hurt for Jason and his family, because he has had the whole world criticize his passion, his ministry, as well as himself.  There are not too many that could stand up under that kind of criticism. I don't know the Russell's, but I have had a heavy burden placed on me to pray for them: for healing, for direction, for peace, and renewal.  And like you said Brant, now he is dangerous, he can use this for God's glory.
3/20/2012 5:38:06 PM
Lindsay United States
Lindsay
Human being,

You are right in what you said. you will know them by their fruits... But this letter Brant wrote sounds more like a call to action (outreach) letter than a letter to a brother in Christ (in my opinion). with that said, he may have habitual sin that he struggles with, but honestly I do too. I struggle to read my word daily... That's a habitual sin. All sin is the same right? while i'm not sure if he is Christian I think its hard to say he isn't when I don't know his heart.
3/20/2012 8:21:55 PM
Raynee United States
Raynee
‎3/‎20/‎2012

I've heard  many horrible comments regarding Jason Russel's breakdown and it hurts too the core that a lot of people said very cruel things about this mans pain;  Then I was sent a link where a DJ saw this mans pain in a different way, he looked beyond the naked man doing "Crazy" things  in the street.  I was inspired by his love & compassion, I was ashamed by my "Luke warm" attitude towards the whole thing, I was given a virtual wake up call in the following poem I'd like to share that "call" with you with the prayer that we all will remember who our Brothers and Sisters are and that we aren't always what you might expect us to be.
Luv you all! In Christ Ray. II Cor 5:17

MENTAL:

I am reminded that we're to pray for others who suffer in pain for this is what God demands, How could we have forgotten His all important commands?

So the next time you see one suffering from down deep inside,Don't worry you'll know them for their pain often it's so difficult to hide;
Sometimes you'll find them standing right by your side.

They laugh, they cry, they do it all on that you can depend,Often times you may not know it but in Church on Sunday; Sitting right there next to you there sits a few my foolish friend!

In the Future when you see someone who you think is a little "strange" Maybe talking to them-self on The street or dancing with no one in the rain;
Don't laugh at them as others do, remember their your Brothers and Sisters too, Of this we cannot deny for Jesus calls them His Children too, when they hurt He doth too cry.

R.K.
Dedicated to N.C. & all who suffer in silence today
P.F.Y.
3/20/2012 9:08:43 PM
Guest United States
Guest
It is really not apparent to any of you "Christians" that all you are doing here is gossiping about a man that you don't know at all? Or are you just choosing to deny that reality so you can keep on gossiping?

This who blog is bullshit. You are pretending to love and "show compassion" for a man that you don't genuinely care about at all. Who the hell are all of you to think you are somehow helping ANYTHING by discussing Jason's life, mental and spiritual health, family, and wounds in public?!

This makes me sick. If you truly cared about Jason, you would take time privately to pray for him and his family and for the work that he has devoted himself to. And then you would shut the hell up.

I'm sick of people feeling like the world needs to hear their take on Jason's situation. News flash: We don't. And it's especially sickening when you try to disguise your cyber gossip as "care" for Jason. Bullshit. You just want to hear yourself talk. It's really all about you.

Hypocrites. Whitewashed tombs.
3/20/2012 9:17:45 PM
Sue United States
Sue
Brant.

While I love what you said, I found myself taking a totally different stance! I have been defending Jason Russell, but maybe not for the love and compassion reasons, as a Christian should, that you may think, which just dawned on me after reading your incredible article! I defended him because I felt like the mainstream media had probably 1. not been completely truthful to begin with, and 2. I've supported Invisible Children for several years and I believe in the cause and I feel they've been getting a bad rap in the press lately anyway and I believe alot of it has to do with the very fact that they are a Christian based organization and an easy target possibly for some! So, thank you for the "righting" my perspective... I needed it!

3/21/2012 12:04:34 AM
Chelsea United States
Chelsea
Brant, thank you so much for writing this. I had the privilege of meeting Jason and a few of the former child soldiers at my school a couple years ago and they're some of the most amazing people you'll ever meet. The stories they have will break your heart and inspire you like none other. And when you talk to Jason about why he started this whole thing, you can see his passion and love for it in his eyes. He's 10000% honest in all the videos he makes, and everything is so personal to him. When the Kony 2012 video came out I was so excited for him and the rest of the group, but when I started hearing the critiques statements, the first thing I said was, "We need to start praying for Jason." I know just from the short time I spent with him how much this meant to him, and when the news about his breakdown spread I was sad, but not surprised. To start with I just cried for him because I couldn't imagine this happening at a worse time, but then I started to think, maybe this wasn't so bad after all. It's got people talking. And even though I wish we could stop the negativity that's being thrown at him, I think you make an excellent point. Now he's free. He broke down in just about the most public way possible and everyone saw it. He can't take it back, so he might as well move forward. What can they do to him now? Nothing. He's free and when he's feeling better he can get right back to saving the world. Besides, he's got God on his side. He'll be fine. <3
3/21/2012 12:58:56 AM
Peter United States
Peter
I do find this sad that it happened this way but I think it is good to see a humanizing with leaders like this. My view on the whole kony thing is that it is for money or war propaganda. Now if the info makes sense and there is no clear vision on what they were planning on doing. I think this was brought on because of conviction which means that the holy spirit is still in him. I hope he can try and make things right.
3/21/2012 10:23:47 AM
Denise United States
Denise
Guest,
I know I'm feeding the troll but . . .

"I'm sick of people feeling like the world needs to hear their take on Jason's situation."

Blogs are these cute little things where you can share your take on just about anything, be it God, current events, or toast. The entire World Wide Web (this new development that's somehow really taken off) is about sharing your opinions with the world. If you have no interest hearing other people's opinions, what the hell are you doing on the Internet?
3/21/2012 10:24:54 AM
Denise United States
Denise
Brant, the post was beautiful and thoughtful. This God of yours sounds more compelling with every post.
3/21/2012 10:37:21 AM
brant h United States
brant h
There's not a shred of "gossip" in what I wrote.  Dude is an international superstar of the most viral video ever, and he's having stones thrown at him by - literally - hundreds of thousands.

And I'm saying, very clearly, "Go ahead and throw, if you wouldn't be horrified by the exposure of your own brokenness..."

It's funny that we've got commenters both finding that I'm not judging him, but really should, and another calling me a hypocrite for being judgmental.

That's the nature of writing, and clicking "publish".  (Under my own actual name, my own picture, no less.)

Thanks for the input.  Really interesting to read.  God help us all!
3/21/2012 12:31:43 PM
Francisco Velazquez United States
Francisco Velazquez
BRAD this was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID
3/21/2012 1:16:48 PM
Paige Taus United States
Paige Taus
WOW! That was awesome!
3/21/2012 1:20:08 PM
Lenny United Kingdom
Lenny
I have to assume the Troll comments are aimed at me.

Funny that.  Not my intention, I am just intrigued as to how you people think and operate, I am now much clearer on how you guys get through life.

I am afraid I cannot comprehend the majority of comments on this blog, they are luckily a world apart from me and my upbringing.

But the WWW is global, maybe you should start thinking a little beyond these bubbles you have all created for yourselves.

The self denial and sinning excuse you all seem to tout is amusing to me, we will bring you with us or you will become more marginalised then ever.

3/21/2012 2:16:28 PM
Denise United States
Denise
@Lenny
If you're referring to my "feed the troll" comment, it was directed to "Guest". I'm always slightly amused and quite annoyed when someone goes onto a forum to comment "NO ONE CARES. STOP TALKING, WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR OPINION N00B LOLOL". I disagree with Brant on many issues, but I like his heart, and I didn't like Guest calling his blog bullshit because he disagreed with how Brant handled this topic.

I don't disagree with anything you said, and, as myself and the majority of my friends are lovely QUILTBAG people, I don't think I fall into the bubble you talked about.
3/21/2012 3:12:26 PM
Keri United States
Keri
Aragorn didn't walk through the gates of Isengard in the scene you are referring to in the match-up, he entered Helm's Deep, after they thought he was dead. Smile
3/21/2012 5:03:41 PM
Corey United States
Corey
Brant, thank you for this blog, I didn't know anything about Jason Russell before this and still don't know much about him yet, but so much of what you said here applies to so many other similar situations, you are extremely insightful, and by having this blog - are hugely helpful to many.
3/21/2012 9:25:02 PM
Elaina United States
Elaina
Thanks for the post. I appreciate your perspective. And I think you're totally right...he is dangerous now. I hope and pray that he'll have the support he needs to press forward and continue to do what he's been so passionate about doing.
5/16/2012 2:51:00 PM
Heidi United States
Heidi
Brant,
You are such an encourager! I appreciate how you can take someones mistakes, or your own and use it to encourage, teach, and learn from..and to me, its CONTAGIOUS!! I hope that as I grow up, my heart is similar to yours, to encourage, love, have fun, be silly and chase after the heart of God. You rock!
10/24/2012 5:47:18 PM
Kathy United States
Kathy
I did not have time to read through all of the responses...was your "letter" ever shared with Jason? We have opened our home to IC roadies for years and one of our sons knows him. Thank you for sharing your soul every day!
3/6/2013 9:02:30 PM
best paleo recipes United States
best paleo recipes
Great stuff here. The information and the detail were just perfect. I think that your perspective is deep, its just well thought out and really fantastic to see someone who knows how to put these thoughts down so well. Great job on this.

<a href="http://paleoaholic.com/">best paleo recipes</a>