Mar 13 2012
Breaking Down Today's Matchup: When You Hear Your Baby Say 'Mommy' for the First Time vs. David Crowder's Beard

This is a classic matchup:  Emotional moment of stunning significance, versus facial hair.

So how do I see this one?  Thanks for asking.

Look, I'm a dad, and I've got two wonderful children.  I treasure every moment with them, even now, years after they uttered their first words.

A word!  Such meaning, such humanness, packed into a single breath.  Not only is this the culmination of waiting, since that very first "positive" test, it's a harbinger of relationship-to-come.  To borrow from Martin Buber, it's an acknowledgement of "I-thou" relationship, freighted with the meaning of the remaining years of your lives together.  A baby - a human, a soul! - enters our lives, and says, with a garbled word, "You begat me.  I am yours, borne of your flesh, and our Maker entrusts me to you."

On the flipside:  David Crowder's Beard is pretty cool.

Summary:  My pick is DAVID CROWDER'S BEARD BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (31) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/13/2012 12:03:43 PM
Sarah P United States
Sarah P
You quoted Martin Buber.  Brant, you just got +73 awesome points!
3/13/2012 12:05:12 PM
Ken Hagerman Paraguay
Ken Hagerman
David Crowder's beard every time. had the kid said "Daddy" I might hesitate, a little. Babies are everywhere but there is only one David Crowder's beard.
3/13/2012 12:05:25 PM
Brant Hansen United States
Brant Hansen
LIke there could BE a "Bracket of Awesomeness" without an allusion to Martin Buber!
3/13/2012 12:11:04 PM
Brant Hansen United States
Brant Hansen
Ken:  Excellent point.

Makes me wonder what it would be like, how awesome it would be, to have a Baby David Crowder say "Daddy" for a first time.
3/13/2012 12:25:30 PM
Anna United States
Anna
What could possibly be as awesome as David Crowder's beard? I have been in awe of that thing since I first saw it in a music video...it was love at first sight.
3/13/2012 12:32:34 PM
Mindy United States
Mindy
Brant,

I love your show and your humor. The first time I listened I was like -- is this Air 1??? But, I can't drive home from work without it now... especially on Fridays.
3/13/2012 12:33:43 PM
Bev Walker United States
Bev Walker
sorry, just don't care for David Crowder at all ....so i am definitely going for the baby!!
3/13/2012 12:39:20 PM
Brendt Waters United States
Brendt Waters
The Crowder (tm) is to beards what Chuck Norris is to men.
3/13/2012 12:44:03 PM
Angie United States
Angie
How could you not vote for an adorable baby saying "Mommy" for the first time?  it's like stepping on a puppy!  Have you people no hearts?!
3/13/2012 12:45:28 PM
lauran barthauer age 11 United States
lauran barthauer age 11
i voted for david crowdres beard like twenty times all the way for david crowders beard its so long big red fluffy its totally awesome!!!!!! plus i luv his band they rock! and im only eleven so i don't know how it feels for your baby to say mommy for the first time!  SO DAVID CROWDER'S BEARD ALL THE WAY!!! =D
3/13/2012 12:47:04 PM
Michael C. United States
Michael C.
Baby.
3/13/2012 12:49:56 PM
lauran barthauer age 11 United States
lauran barthauer age 11
I wonder what David crowder looked like when he was a baby what i see is a baby with a big red fluffy long beard david crowder is the only guy who could ever pull off that awesome of a beard!
3/13/2012 12:57:53 PM
Katy S United States
Katy S
Brant, you crack me up! I love reaeding your blog, whether the post is funny or serious Laughing
3/13/2012 12:58:00 PM
Laura S. United States
Laura S.
First of all i have to say "wow!" This is really funny Brant! Smile
and now i have to say is I always love reading your blogs!!! Laughing
3/13/2012 1:05:28 PM
Angie United States
Angie
Lauran Barthauer: i don't have any kids either.  i'm only fourteen.  i don't have any dogs either.  but i still wouldn't step on a puppy.  it seems heartless whether or not you have one.

VOTE FOR THE BABY!
3/13/2012 1:08:50 PM
Mathew W. United States
Mathew W.
The beard is awesome so David has my vote
3/13/2012 1:21:56 PM
Brant Hansen United States
Brant Hansen
Angie, how do you think David Crowder's beard feels about this?

YOU may not have a beard yet, but please consider others' beards.
3/13/2012 1:48:04 PM
Angie United States
Angie
Brant: i dunno.  even if i COULD grow a beard, the thought just seems incredibly itchy to me.  when i think of beard, i think of animals with curly hair and fleas crawling through it.

i'm still going with the baby.
3/13/2012 1:59:15 PM
Lisa United States
Lisa
Brant, you are so funny.  What would I do without your humor and insight????  You just make me smile and my kids think you are awesome.  So glad your mom won yesterday, and I think David's going to win, too!
3/13/2012 2:02:34 PM
Cindy United States
Cindy
Beards can be shaved and grow back but a first time of saying "mommy" is something that isn't replaceable.  Don't get me wrong I have great respect for David Crowder, however, I think even he would have to agree with this.  Brant, have you asked him?
3/13/2012 2:46:42 PM
Human Being United States
Human Being
@ Brant: One of your "brackets of awesomeness" says that Aragorn came through the gates of Isengard after everyone thought he was dead. But in LotR, Aragron never went into Isengard. Instead, in that scene, he was going into Helm's Deep.
3/13/2012 2:51:35 PM
Matt United States
Matt
@human being, that topic has been discussed thoroughly. Check out the original bracket posting. On that note...

Let's go baby people!  Pull outta this!
3/13/2012 3:26:43 PM
Amber United States
Amber
Seriously people? a beard over a child? even if it is David Crowder. come on!
3/13/2012 3:42:40 PM
Derek United States
Derek
Yea DCB!
3/14/2012 8:29:52 AM
lauran barthauer age 11 United States
lauran barthauer age 11
I'm sorry Angie i voted like fifteen times for david crowders beard and he won so im on a roll i voted for brant's mom and now david crowder's!!! oh yah!! today is chistmas shoes and the millinneum falcon i have no clue what either of those things are?? the millinneum falcon looks and sounds like its from star wars? so i will wait for brant to post what he thinks LOL!!!!
3/14/2012 8:31:04 AM
lauran barthauer age 11 United States
lauran barthauer age 11
WOOPSY i forgot beard on david crowders beard! oops
3/14/2012 8:42:06 AM
lauran barthauer age 11 United States
lauran barthauer age 11
i looked the christmas shoes up now i know its  a song  newsong sings and i luv that song i knew the words just not the name!! and i was right about the millennium falcon! its a ship in star wars
3/15/2012 3:30:35 PM
Melody United States
Melody
Who won? I was in school! Why, must you do this when I'm in school?
3/15/2012 8:41:02 PM
Delilah United States
Delilah
well i would vote for the baby well cuz baby's are cute but you can't call a beard cute ( by the way there could be food in his beard eewww :p )
3/20/2012 1:03:41 PM
lauran barthauer age 11 United States
lauran barthauer age 11
todays math up is so hard i luv thin mints they r so yummy but i luv the universe are planet is such a small part of! its hard to choose?!. which one should i vote for???? hmmm i will vote once for each LOL!
3/20/2012 1:10:33 PM
lauran barthauer age 11 United States
lauran barthauer age 11
Well i do like thin mints sooo much! i agree with brant they are very good in ice cream so i guess i will vote for the thin mints!!