Feb 20 2012
The Things I Kill

So I killed this thing.

A right nice lady gave me a right nice plant for my office...and I done kilt it.  It was real tall, and lush, and green, and full, and beautiful, and I gave it the ol' Extreme Makeover, Neglect Edition, and turned it into a krusty brown pile of detritus in a pot.

I didn't know where to throw it out.  So, after I killed the plant, I put the pot formerly known as "plant" out on the veranda, which is a commons area for all the organizations in our building.  That way, no one would know who abandoned the pot-o-nothing.  I'm a class act.

The radio studio shared a wall with the veranda.  I looked out the window during the show one morning and noticed this prim, middle-aged, bookish lady -- someone I still haven't met -- watering the dead plant.  Naive, but, you know, sweet.  But mostly naive.

She came out and did this every single day.  I'd be on the air, notice some movement to my right, out the window, and there she was, watering and trimming the dead plant.

And then the dead plant, which Brant Hansen killed, started growing.  The dang thing started shooting up green.  It grew and grew, and she kept trimming it, too, here and there.  She kept watering.

One morning, I looked out and marvelled:  That plant that I, Brant Hansen, personally killed, was now more beautiful than when I had it in my office.  It was back, better than ever.  Glowing healthy!  And it occurred to me...

I could take my plant back now!

It would look great it my office!  I'll just go snag it sometime when no one's out there, and bring it back in -- you know, liven up the office for the me-meister!

And I mentioned this to my wife, Carolyn.  She said it wouldn't be right to take the plant back.  She said it wasn't mine anymore.

She said that lady redeemed it, so it's hers now.

2/22/2012 4:38:06 PM
FRANCISCO United States
FRANCISCO
haha one persons trash is another persons treasure!!!!!!!!!
2/22/2012 4:46:40 PM
Melanie United States
Melanie
LOL... that is so me. I can never keep plants alive. Even if I give them the love and care bit. Glad that lady was able to bring it back to life. And I agree with your wife it's not yours anymore.
2/22/2012 4:58:42 PM
Ismeralda Moreno United States
Ismeralda Moreno
What a beautiful metaphor, Brant!

Man that is going to stick with me.

Thank you!
2/22/2012 4:59:34 PM
Mel United States
Mel
Super inspiring, man! He's always showing us how Love heals and saves. Smile -sigh- And sometimes it's through a no-big-deal office plant. Ha. Thanks for sharing, Brant.
2/22/2012 8:27:41 PM
Susan United States
Susan
Heck no, it's not yours anymore!  But you have a beautiful opportunity to leave something....be it note or poem or some other wonderful surprise...right there with that plant.  Who knows, this story may not be over just yet.

Don't you think we are often just like that plant??
2/22/2012 8:31:14 PM
Susan United States
Susan
No way is it yours anymore Smile!!  But you have a beautiful opportunity to leave SOMETHING...be it a note or a poem or a studio lunch invitation, with that plant for that kind lady.  Who knows, maybe she saw a little of herself, or all of humanity, for that matter, in that plant.

Why not keep the story going and let us know how it turns out?
2/23/2012 6:54:26 AM
Keenan United States
Keenan
Hi Brant,
It is amazing what God shows us in the simple things in our lives. Thank you for sharing Brant.
2/23/2012 11:56:08 AM
Mary United States
Mary
Your wife is right, you should listen to her ;)
2/23/2012 11:56:27 AM
Mary United States
Mary
Your wife is right, listen to her.
2/23/2012 12:21:38 PM
Kenny Elliott United States
Kenny Elliott
Hmm...there is something VERY deep in this story. But you realize, you represent the world in it! LOL! ;)
2/23/2012 12:26:08 PM
Shannon United States
Shannon
It's true, it is not yours to take now, but you are blessed to see the beauty it always had inside it all along.  How about another picture of the "saved" plant?
2/23/2012 12:50:21 PM
Loretta United States
Loretta
A lttle time,love and care is what everything needs on thism good earth.
2/23/2012 1:12:13 PM
Valerie United States
Valerie
I love it! What an awesome picture of how we have been redeemed, and how we no longer belong to the one that tried to kill us.
I think that you are right about the stories.  Quite the way to reach people.  Thank you!
2/23/2012 1:32:49 PM
Matthew United States
Matthew
Brant, no the plant is not yours any more, but the opportunity to cherish it and know that God does the exact same thing with us is. Thank you for sharing. It has lifted my day! God bless.
2/23/2012 1:47:25 PM
Marina United States
Marina
Brant,

That is really a Ha!...ha!... funny dang thing that you killed but brought to life by Jesus...ha!...ha!...

More Power to you and God's Best,
Marina
2/23/2012 1:52:23 PM
Josh United States
Josh
Like Valerie said that is a n awesome picture of how we have been redeemed.
Another way to see it is that the plant is Gods plan for my life, and when I take and do My own thing with Gods plan I mess it up. But when I give it back he will create a new beauty out of it.
2/23/2012 2:04:36 PM
Griselda United States
Griselda
My interpretation is that you offered the plant what the devil offer us (not to insult you) but neglect, no interest, abandonment, and obviously no love.  We then become this wilted, awful plant that has no beauty.  Then along comes Grace (Jesus) who cares for us.  He restores us and we He makes us beautiful and givees us value.
2/23/2012 2:52:36 PM
Alexis United States
Alexis
God can fix anything, no matter how dead or broken it may seem,and make it into something new and beautiful. Thanks for the reminder Brant!
2/23/2012 3:47:25 PM
Ben United States
Ben
For the plants sake please dont take it back.   ;)
2/23/2012 5:15:14 PM
Tiff United States
Tiff
Brant, you really crack me up!! You have such a way with words, lol. But it's so true, He has redeemed us, so we belong to Him now. The one who seeks to destroy us has no legal right any longer. Jesus died so we can have Life. Amen!
2/23/2012 5:20:15 PM
susan neuner United States
susan neuner
no,he can't have me back
he tried to kill my soul to save his own skin but God showed me my true worth and to live a glorious new life that he will never be apart of. may GOD forgive his soul for tearing apart the life of another with the lies deceit and slander that he spoke
2/23/2012 6:40:47 PM
barry United States
barry
Not Brant or the plant, but the water, pure and life giving. Thank you Jesus for the power of life eternal!
2/23/2012 9:11:03 PM
Angela United States
Angela
This was so good. Please blog more often!!!
2/23/2012 10:20:44 PM
The Tired College Kid. United States
The Tired College Kid.
Ya know... after laughing from this great story, and all the time getting that creatively somewhat sneaky and yet wonderful metaphor... I pondered over it all and came to this conclusion: I must say that once again I see how God can take something ugly and turned it into something of beauty. We just need to be willing to be used by Him. I'm glad that lady was willing...as for you...what happened Brandt? REALLY?

hahaha just kidding.
2/24/2012 11:51:31 PM
Angela United States
Angela
Detritus is such a great word.
2/25/2012 10:08:49 AM
Ken United States
Ken
Such a great story, and so many lessons to take away from it. The first lesson, of course, is don't give Brant a plant if you want it to live.

Your wife is so wise. You're a blessed man.
2/25/2012 11:59:34 AM
marina United States
marina
Brant,

Just want to let you know that what you are doing to that girl in Afghanistan is so special to me as it is to God. I have a very dear Sister who was one and got the surgery and is living a great normal life after her surgery. She is the toughest person on earth that I know though. Before her surgery she would beat up kids who would make fun of her and even sometimes chase them with her gardening knife. She is awesome. God is soo good...Thank you for what you are doing....More power and God Bless....Marina...<><
2/26/2012 4:26:44 PM
lou mndzbl United States
lou mndzbl
3/8/2012 3:43:48 PM
Judy United States
Judy
I am really enjoying your blogs, Brant - a theologian who's captivating and down to earth.  Jesus must be very pleased.
3/9/2012 3:03:35 PM
carrien United States
carrien
I actually cried at the end, because of how true it is. We belong t the one who redeemed us, end of story.
3/13/2012 1:54:42 PM
Laura S. United States
Laura S.
This would so happen to me! I would get a plant and then end up killing it, throw it out and then some body would come and take care of it and bring it back to life....I should do that to my mom next time she throws out one of her old dead plants.... XD
9/30/2012 6:26:55 AM
Josiah United States
Josiah
I just came across this, and I can't say how inspiring of a metaphor it is.