Jan 28 2012
Ask Mr. Moralism!

Welcome. My new book, due out this spring, is called, Victory: Living the Morally Pure Life.

Now to the mailbag:

Q:  Dear Mr. Moralism,

I was wondering if I should take a stand on this, since I know we need to take stands on other people's morality:

There’s this guy who says he’s a Christian, but he apparently thinks about his body a LOT.  He works out HOURS a day, and poses for pictures in his underwear, knowing they will be displayed publicly.

He works at this place where they have dancing girls, getting paid to do sexy dances.

And there’s TONS of drinking there. His salary comes from an employer who's made millions off alcohol sales!

Like I said, he says he’s a Christian.  Should I take a stand to show people I disapprove?

Sincerely,

Concerned

A:  Dear Wondering,

His job helps him profit from alcohol sales?  That’s wrong. It’s clear, biblically-speaking. (Gal 5:21)

All that working out, and pride of a body that won’t last?  Hard to escape this:  That's very shallow, self-focused, and, I’m sorry, that’s not what we’re supposed to be about as Christians. (I Tim 4:8)

He poses in underwear? No justifying that. It’s clear, biblically-speaking. (I Cor 10:32)

Sexy dancing girls where he works?  You can’t square that with the Bible. (I Thess 5:22)

He may say he’s a Christian, but based on this moral behavior, I think we have to take a stand and disapprove heartily. (I Cor 5:11)

Being a Christian means rules.  Sure, there are those who say “It’s not about rules, it’s about the heart, and we don't know his heart, etc.,” but they are namby-pamby types who aren’t holding the standard.  I discuss this in my new book, due out this spring, called, Victory: Living the Morally Pure Life.

What do we need? More moral stalwarts, truly morally GOOD men, heroes of pure morality, to give us an example of victory through our personal moral purity.

We need more men like Tim Tebow!

Taking a stand,

Mr. Moralism

Q:  Uh...actually, that's who I was talking about, Tim Tebow, and -

A:  Thanks for reading, everyone.  My new book, due out this spring, is called Victory: Living the Morally Pure Life.

1/28/2012 5:59:22 PM
brant United States
brant
Just in case anyone misses the point:  No one is morally "good" except Jesus. That's all.  The morals game is always debilitating, deflating, and deadly.

Before everybody goes all, "But Tebow is awesome, and - " this isn't about Tebow.  It's about how useless our desire to size everyone up, morally, is.  Without Christ, we're messed.  EVERYONE can be picked apart.  It never ends.

Jesus is our only legitimate moral hero, and, thank God, God lets what HE did cover us.  You, Tim, me... all of us moral misfits who want it.  What a wonderful relief!
1/28/2012 6:06:56 PM
Andrew Canada
Andrew
awesome. just awesome. Going to share this to facebook.
1/28/2012 6:25:14 PM
nicolej (: United States
nicolej (:
Oh brant. You never dissapoint.. (:
1/28/2012 6:32:11 PM
Paula United States
Paula
YAY!!! couldn't agree more! Smile
1/28/2012 6:42:34 PM
Suzanne United States
Suzanne
You forgot to mention that he works on Sundays, which is a clear violation of the fourth commandment (Exodus 20:8-11)
1/28/2012 6:47:49 PM
Tiffany United States
Tiffany
Boom, roasted!

This is pure awesome. Not only is there none among us who can be that perfect example, but I think this also shows that judging is not our responsibility. Keep your eyes on your own walk, people!
1/28/2012 6:49:32 PM
Jodie (male with an e) United States
Jodie (male with an e)
This and the Prozac posts are my favorites. Brandt its like you're speaking directly to me. Keep up the awesomeness.
1/28/2012 6:58:11 PM
Ross United States
Ross
Brant, words of life, brother...we miss you in Florida...

Maybe that Christian guy (Tebow)is trying to be light in the middle of a dark place???
1/28/2012 8:44:44 PM
Brant Hansen United States
Brant Hansen
Yes, Ross!  I think Tebow is very much a light.

One more reason our religious rules - and we sure love rules - are such a dead end.
1/29/2012 12:18:38 AM
marina United States
marina
I commend the spiritual discipline of being Morally Pure. We just have to be always mindful of the so called " Spiritual Pride". In my own walk with God, this had been one of the toughest one for me to discern and be delivered from. Just like anything else, balance is the key in our daily walk with God. The adversarry needs only one crack to creep into our life to plant a bondage or stronghold, etc....

Marina....<><
1/29/2012 1:39:03 AM
kittypie United States
kittypie
Brant and Anne Lamott...two of my present-day spiritaul heroes!
1/29/2012 4:38:08 AM
Ken Hagerman Paraguay
Ken Hagerman
Great post but I think your comment below caught my attention more. It was both hilarious and sad that you felt the urge to "break it down." However, good satire is one of those things that is lost at times in its subtly. Good call.
1/29/2012 5:21:00 AM
Larry Lund United States
Larry Lund
What Ken said, B.  Jesus explained only some of his parables to his disciples and none of them to his critics.  He left most of them to be interpreted in whatever condition the hearers were currently.  He left them to be interpreted rightly when God had prepared them to hear the truth.  Of course, Jesus didn't work at a Christian radio station either...  Wink
1/29/2012 7:31:24 AM
Darlene Folk United States
Darlene Folk
wow. you rock, brant! yes, we ALL fall short of the glory of God each and every day. and everyone can find something wrong with the things we do or say... and it's only because of legalism, or self righteous pride, or lack of understanding, that we try to shame and cut each other apart. i live by 'live and let live' and just love and be patient with one another, because i don't know everything going on in people's worlds or their hearts. i don't know what God is doing in them at any particular time. people are GOD'S problem, not mine. and i'm no better than anyone else. the only people Jesus criticized or 'judged' were the religious leaders, and that was for their legalism and hypocrisy. everyone else he just loved and befriended. that should teach us something if we really want to be like Christ.
1/30/2012 8:24:57 AM
Joe United States
Joe
Too soon?

@Tiffany You literally stole the words out of my my mouth..(Boom! Roasted!) I was totally gonna say that!
1/31/2012 4:26:43 PM
Danielle United States
Danielle
Wow! This is an amazing blog! Brant, you are just GREAT! I think this is applicable to anyone! You can be in any situation in your life and see how this is true! Thanks Brant!!
2/3/2012 7:48:34 PM
Wesley United States
Wesley
"Alcohol sales, oh my goodness!"

Seriously, where are we forbidden from drinking alcohol in the scriptures? We are forbidden from drunkenness, but before you use that as an argument, we are also forbidden from gluttony! Shall we therefore not eat?

And please don't use the argument that it was not really alcohol that New Testament Christian's would use in Communion, why else would drunkenness be prohibited?

*sips my beer*
2/8/2012 10:50:45 AM
Wendy Nicole United States
Wendy Nicole
wondering if I can pre order the book?
2/12/2012 11:18:44 PM
Sarah Ray United States
Sarah Ray
You really had me going there! I admit I'm new to this site, though, so forgive me, I don't really know what to expect.  I hear you all on the radio all the time and I know this Mr. Morality is not the message I get there.  You are amazing in the love and acceptance that you show, a true example of the transformation of Christ's love.

I have been so terribly judged by people who should know me and know my heart, it is wonderful to see people here who are so loving and non-judgmental.  There are far too many "Christians" who lead secularists to think "judgmental hypocrite" when they hear the word "Christian." You are doing so much to undo that damage by allowing Christ to work through you so purely.  Thank you.
2/27/2012 1:52:14 PM
Paul United States
Paul
Drinking alcohol isn't necessarily bad.  Getting drunk with it is what is wrong.  Jesus drank alcoholic wine.
3/3/2012 10:34:03 PM
Kevin United States
Kevin
Suzanne,

Remember, the Sabbath is Saturday. However, Tebow clearly violated this when he played college ball, since most college games are on Saturday. Plus Saturday is usually some type of a work day for NFL players.