Jan 11 2012
Church History 201: Let's Scare All the Kids to Death

You missed this. You're too young and cool and stuff.

But in the 70s, a rising consciousness swept through evangelical churches.  They all became aware, simultaneously:  We still have some little kids here who aren't thoroughly traumatized.

Enter the heroic people behind "A Thief in the Night", which was a movie shown me, my feet yet dangling beneath the pew.  It's about something called the "rapture".

I suddenly remembered it, again, when some listeners to the show sent me a photo from their awesome "Thief in the Night Party".  I immediately started singing the song, "I Wish We'd All Been Ready", written by the great Larry Norman, that was in the movie.  It's a song about how I've been "left behind", and how it's too late, now, to do anything about it, for all eternity.

And it's sung in the movie by, as I recall, a guy with a creepy smile and a creepy big red afro.  And lo, there were many creepy close-ups as he sang, creepily, with his creepy big red afro, "You've been left behind..."

I learned a LOT from that movie:

1)  Ronald McDonald is going to escort me to Hell.

2)  If I ever walk in a room, and it's empty, but something's "on" -- like a kitchen radio -- it's because everyone's been taken to heaven except me, and now it's too late, and I'll never see my family again.  And how YOU doin'?

3)  Anyone driving a white van is trying to snatch people.  (Probably true, actually.)

4)  ...and they're from the U.N. (Also probably true.)

5)  The more pronounced the sideburns, the less likely one will be raptured.

6)  In the end times, the evil guys masquerade as harmless, good guys, and they'll subtly do this by wearing a red armband.

7)  ...and then holding me down as they tattoo my forehead.

8)  I don't really want to go to McDonald's anymore, but

9)  I think Grimace, who was nowhere to be seen in the movie, will be raptured.

10)  Little kids like me can watch movies in church, as long as they're blood-curdling frightening.

1/12/2012 5:14:54 AM
Mark United States
Mark
And I thought I was the only one who had this reaction to that movie. Oh yeah... been there done that... had nightmares for weeks... still do at times. The church I grew up in is a denomination that believes you can "lose your salvation" and for 2/3 of my life I lived in constant fear that I would do somethings at any minute that would instantly damn me to hell.

As one of your recent blogs discussed, I could've used a good education on the love, grace and mercy of the Lord, not "you better watch yourself or you might be left behind"... I wish we'd alllllll beeeeen reaaaaady...

Great Post!

PS-Years ago while listening to a former pastor preach from Romans I had my epiphany and the "grace thing" clicked.
1/12/2012 5:18:09 AM
David United States
David
lol I love your blogs. Your way with words.
1/12/2012 7:10:34 AM
Kirsten United States
Kirsten
I so remember this movie and had many of the same responses.  (Thank you for bringing back such a bad memory.  LOL  jk)   Greatful for the grace that Jesus gives so generously!
1/12/2012 7:20:12 AM
Amy United States
Amy
It is SO good to know that I wasn't the only kid scared silly by this movie!!!  It's also good to know (now) that I don't have to be afraid...maybe if I'd have known that then I'd have slept a whole lot better for months after watching it!
1/12/2012 7:42:04 AM
Stephanie Canada
Stephanie
I think I was about 5 when I saw this movie. The head chopping scene freaked me out for years.
1/12/2012 7:52:51 AM
Carol United States
Carol
I need to see that movie again! It's been years and reading your blog makes me want to rush out and watch it.  You are a great communicator, Brant!
1/12/2012 8:35:18 AM
Denise United States
Denise
Scared me too! I wonder how many churches had to have the pews/chairs cleaned after showing these movies?  Lesson: Always bring your kids to church with extra underwear.

Ironically, I find the quote by Bob McKenzie from the Bob & Doug McKenzie movie c1984 appropriate, "Psssst, act . . .act."
Lesson: Guillotine use in movies will always override bad acting.

Thanks for keeping it real, Brant!
1/12/2012 8:51:00 AM
G. United States
G.
Head-chopping scene? People being kidnapped by members of the UN driving a van? Freakishly large sideburns? And I thought "Love Comes Softly" was terribly scarring.

When I was little, someone gave me a little comic book that showed scenes of what might happen in the end times and I had nightmares about it for years. I think the end times should be a subject reserved for adults, just like the Song of Solomon. Anyways, it's silly to focus on what "could" happen-- as it could happen tomorrow or 200 years from now, and there could be a rapture, but then again, maybe there won't be. I've never seen any solid biblical evidence for a rapture. However it goes, the Lord wants us to prepared, certainly, but not to be freaked out. He ain't like that. He gives not a spirit of fear, but power and love and a sound mind.
1/12/2012 9:33:53 AM
Chrisi United States
Chrisi
I never saw this particular movie but I vividly remember watching similar movies (primarily "Apocalypse" and its sequels) in church as a child and having some of the same experience. Ironically, there was a guillotine scene in that set of movies also.

Understanding that things will be difficult in the end times and that Christians currently do and will continue to face persecution/death for their faith is important, but I question the wisdom of using fear as an evangelism tool for both adults and children. I can certainly relate to Brant's second point; I remember having that experience a few times after the "end times" sermon at church. It's frightening enough for a child to wake up and realize no one else is in the house (even if mom and dad are in the yard) without adding the fear of being "left behind" to the equation. Scaring kids into faith isn't the answer, and one has to ask if the child even understands what he/she is doing if they ask Jesus into their heart just so they won't be killed like in the movie or separated from "mommy and daddy" for eternity. Granted an adult will experience a different kind of fear but the point is the same: a relationship with Christ is not "fire insurance."
1/12/2012 9:49:39 AM
Tanya United States
Tanya
Hey now!  I drive a big white van and I don't snatch people.  It already full of my kids and two big dogs so no room for snatching anyone.
1/12/2012 9:54:33 AM
Tanya United States
Tanya
And I am not from the U.N. If you see my white van driving around after the rapture, remember that there are enough free-range Cheerios hiding in it to feed you and your lef-behind family for months without needing to get the tatoo to buy groceries.  You may want to get in the van.
1/12/2012 9:54:58 AM
Elizabeth United States
Elizabeth
I blame my insomnia on watching those movies when I was a small child.  For years after watching them I would lay awake at night; too worried the rapture would take place or some "bad guys" were going to show up and take us because we were christians to fall asleep.
1/12/2012 10:03:08 AM
Suzanne United States
Suzanne
That is SO awesome that you remember this movie! I am also definately scarred for life. And I laughed so hard reading your blog. Smile Since my dad was a pastor we grew up watching the ENTIRE series of these movies (Thief in Night, A Distant Thunder & Image of the Beast) over, and over, and over! But oh my, the "rapture" pranks my brothers and our friends used to play on eachother, with food left cooking on stove, or sets of clothes left in the middle of the floor & etc.. are memories I'll cherish forever! Smile LOL
1/12/2012 10:04:27 AM
Alanna United States
Alanna
wow. I thought I was the only one....that fear that has plagued me even in late adulthood....I remember my mom telling me everytime I'd hear the whistle on the train I'd freak out thinking it was the last trumpet and I was still here...must have happened alot since we lived pretty close to the train station...
1/12/2012 10:05:26 AM
Dan United States
Dan
I got saved watching this movie in fourth grade.  Though being new to a church school and having aspbergers, I totally mixed up the point of the movie not having any clue about the rapture or end times.  I just thought it was cool to see a movie in church school.  I actually thought that the people who accepted the mark were the Christians and the people who got beheaded were the none Christians.  I thought to myself, I did not wanna die so I heard about having Jesus in your heart and asked Jesus into my heart.  Was three years before I started walking in it but here I am today a Bible College graduate and waiting for God to open up the door to my first pastoring job.
1/12/2012 10:08:36 AM
Angela United States
Angela
I totally remember this movie.  I watched it during the eighties though.  Afterwards, I never wanted to not see my family right there.  I remember my mother went outside and to the neighbors and didn't tell me.  I had one of those freak out moments where I thought I had missed the rapture.  The whole thing was scary.  Don't think I could ever watch it again!
1/12/2012 10:09:24 AM
Sarah United States
Sarah
I remember watching those in Bible class at school (this was late 90s). Creepy, cheesy. Yes. Ew.

(P.S. You may not remember me, but I was in the youth group you led for a little while back in Texas. I had a twin sister, for reference. Smile Great to find you on twitter!!)
1/12/2012 10:14:30 AM
Daniel United States
Daniel
My church doesn't believe in the rapture, but that doesn't mean I haven't experienced blatant fear mongering over the end times. Yeah, things might be tough. But the system churches use to try to get people to be Christian by fearing the end times is totally wrong. Christians need to preach love, not fear. The God I serve is not a sadistic tyrant, but a loving father who desires all to be saved. Yes, there will be "trials and tribulations". But to someone grounded in their faith this should be nothing new...
1/12/2012 10:28:35 AM
Kari United States
Kari
I was JUST having a conversation with my parents about this very movie a few days ago. I remember shortly after seeing this movie as a child, I had woken up from a nap, no one was around and I was just SURE Jesus had come and taken everyone up and I was left behind!!!! I just KNEW it!  Yes, yes....scarred for sure!
Thank you for this post....I laughed, I cried --it moved me... Smile
1/12/2012 10:42:29 AM
Lori Lynn United States
Lori Lynn
I saw the movie when I was in my early 20's, and I was a bit scared after I saw the movie!!
1/12/2012 10:44:41 AM
Christina United States
Christina
Ah yes, this was the movie that literally scared the hell out of me. I prayed the sinners prayer the night I saw this. I was like 8 and all I knew is I didn't want to be left behind....Added to the numerous other things I was afraid of at the time: tornadoes, house fires, earthquakes, and vampires, etc- I suppose I felt I could at least have some control over my eternal fate.

Yeah, a huge thumbs up to the people who felt this movie was awesome and that it needed to be shared with little kids who didn't have a clue.

I wasn't baptized for another 3 or 4 years because I'm not so sure I understood what it was to be 'saved'. There was no confidence in my heart and I struggled with that for many years. Perhaps the movie time would have been better spent explaining who Jesus is and why we need him. Sheesh.
1/12/2012 10:50:43 AM
Jody United States
Jody
I'm not sure if that is the movie we watched at church back in the early 80s, but I watched one that scared me to death.  Literally, if I walked into a room and no one was there and I didn't know where they were I'd freak out and start praying because I thought I'd been left behind.  I was scared to even read Revelation until I was in my 20s and had to study it for school.
1/12/2012 11:16:07 AM
Missy United States
Missy
Dido to Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still can not watch anything that has to do with Revelations or the Rapture.  Scarred for life.  Please don't chop my head off!!!!!!!!!!
1/12/2012 11:50:11 AM
Erin United States
Erin
My friend and I were having a conversation about this topic not too long ago regarding something called "Hell Night" that is done at churches around Halloween. Her church puts this on each year and there were apparently a number of small children there. I have never been to this event but just the explanation of it was disturbing. I disagree with the tactic of scaring people into a relationship with Jesus, especially in regard to children. I don't have particularly great relationships with people I am afraid of. I don't let my kids watch horror movies, why in the world would I subject them to something like this? My 7 year old gets scared reading Revelation in our Action Bible!
Love Love Love your blog! This was pretty funny but sad that some people feel this is a good way to share the LOVE of Christ!
1/12/2012 11:51:24 AM
KatyS United States
KatyS
Never seen that movie, but from what you've written here, Brant, I'm glad I didn't!! And, with the image in my head of the creepy guy with the creepy afro and the creepy smile singing creepily, I will always picture him in my mind every time I see Ronald McDonald...
Love your blog, by the way!!! Laughing Love reading it, and sometimes me and my sister read it out loud to each other.
1/12/2012 12:14:21 PM
Jennifer M United States
Jennifer M
I went to a church school in the 80's and they showed this to the whole school every year, but right at the pivotal head-chopping scene they would stop the movie and escort out all the under-5th grade kids. It was years before I saw the ending.

2 things: I totally agree about the empty room thing. Still freaks me out. And thanks SO MUCH for getting that song stuck in my head. :/
1/12/2012 12:15:53 PM
ChuckF United States
ChuckF
Thanks. Years of therapy had almost gotten all that angst out of my head. Now it's baaaack. Smile

That song ruined DC Talk for me, too. Just sayin'.

Love your blog, though.
1/12/2012 12:16:38 PM
Tara D United States
Tara D
I never knew the name of the movie but we all saw it at church when I was little.... I had the same reactions... scared me more than anything since. Hate it when I am driving alone at night and can't see anyone else...
1/12/2012 12:17:19 PM
Julie R United States
Julie R
I laughed when I saw this post.  I remember seeing this when I was real little.  What were my parents thinking?  I can't even bring myself to watch the new ones or read the left behind series because the movie so freaked me out 25+ years ago!
1/12/2012 12:18:51 PM
Kelly United States
Kelly
Oh come on, that was one of my favorite movies ever.  Though it did lead to some interesting dreams (actually the dreams were at a different time, when my youth group was doing a Revelation study, and my dream combined the study materials with the movie.)
I did watch it as a teen though, not a little kid, so that may be why I was less scarred by it.  It's like, a Christian youth group classic.
Someone mentioned "Hell Night" at their church around Halloween.  YES!  A church near us did "Tribulation Trail" where you walked through these trails in the woods, taking you through the whole rapture and tribulation and such.  It's the Christian kids' haunted house.  With the DC Talk version of "I Wish We'd All Been Ready" playing as you wait.  Awesomeness.
1/12/2012 12:23:58 PM
Kelly United States
Kelly
I feel I should add that I do NOT agree with it's use as an evangelistic tool, or showing it to children.
1/12/2012 12:24:39 PM
Dan G United States
Dan G
I thought that Harold said the rapture happened last year and now we've all been left behind.

Tanya, I'll be looking for your white van.
1/12/2012 12:29:23 PM
Kirstin United States
Kirstin
I remember this movie almost scene by scene. I was scared but not scared enough to stay away from the sequels. As an adult I watched it again and it still had the same affect. I also dont believe in scaring someone into a relationship with Christ, but, for me,  it remains the most powerful movie I have ever seen on the topic.
1/12/2012 12:40:30 PM
sally G United States
sally G
ok... i'm struggling... post or not to post.

I have to say this for all the kids in their 40's that are still running from movies like this....  Who STILL flinch when they hear the word "rapture".

Do not show this to little children.  You scar them for life.  I am living breathing truth of that.

The minute I was able to chose... I would not step foot inside a church!  It was and still is a very scary place for me... it has caused me panic attacks, depression ... WORST of all?  It kept me from GOD.

I struggle every day just to see that God does love me and he doesn't want to damn me to hell, that he wants good for my life.

So anyone thinking that this is ok to show children... Please Please Please  THINK AGAIN!
1/12/2012 12:54:05 PM
slouchy fedora United States
slouchy fedora
the best part of this blog are the tags....

Jesus, apocalypse, sideburns
1/12/2012 12:56:57 PM
Memarie Lane United States
Memarie Lane
I also was really messed up by that movie and thought I was the only one. Maybe we need a support group? Even now I won't touch the book of Revelation. I had to walk out of church a couple months ago when the pastor made some announcements about an End Times study group. Just couldn't listen to it for a single second.
1/12/2012 1:09:41 PM
Kasey United States
Kasey
I have to take antidepressants also, and I have come to think of them as God's answer to my prayers. Who is to say that God HASNT answered our prayers by giving us this medicine?? So, if it works, then take it (if you need it, of course.)
1/12/2012 1:21:05 PM
Linda United States
Linda
But, Brant, that was a great movie and so was the sequel!  LOL  I had nightmares!
1/12/2012 1:24:56 PM
Cheryl D United States
Cheryl D
I was probably about 10 or 11 when I saw this movie in church. Soooooo wrong to show to ANY ONE, let alone children!  I already had a fear-based relationship with God. I accepted Christ at the age of 4 when my father was digging a post hole in the back yard---I was petrified that he would dig to Hell and fall in. (We must have had a fire & brimstone sermon that Sunday.)
It took me years (over 20) to understand the grace and love our father extends to us and that a relationship with him can go beyond 'fire insurance'.
This movie didn't help...at all. Like Mark, I was living in fear that I would do something wrong, the rapture would happen and I would be left alone to battle the men in the white vans.
Also, I think it reinforced some strange ideas people have about being forced or tricked into taking the 'mark of the beast'. I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen like that ... if at all.
P.S. Brant, I too, love your blog and your radio show. I miss being able to hear you on my drive home. Frown
1/12/2012 1:28:05 PM
Theresa Hurley United States
Theresa Hurley
I have struggled with Major Depression all my life. I took regular street drugs to feel better when I was a teen. People kept saying trust in God and you'll be healed and I went into a deep depression by not listening to my doctor. My youth pastor said God gave you a doctor and God is working though him. I have been on meds. for 25 years and have done well. But when my son was 7 and he went into a depression I knew what was wrong with him. He's been on med's for 11 years. I have seen him go through a breakdown just crying and not know why. God has blessed us with good doctors and understanding. But it's still hard for people on the world because they think your crazy. My son is getting ready to go to college for Bio-medical he's not crazy he's smart. Thank you for blogging this about your self. It helps others understand. God Bless!
1/12/2012 2:17:28 PM
Karen United States
Karen
Bravo Brant!!  Keep the word coming across the air waves. And for anyone on an anti-depressant, dont be ashamed or embarressed. I am 59 yrs old and have been taking these drugs for about 30 yrs and i praise God for giving scientists and doctors the wisdom and knowledge to invent a drug to help people with this illness. And, just like my diabetes, which I take drugs for, it is an illness. Brant, like you said, our brains just don't produce enough seratonin to keep them healthy, just like the cells and insulin in my body dont work correctly. You would be shocked to know who all are on anti-depressants. I feel better now than I ever did when I was younger and am enjoying my life and my family so very much.  Praise God for helping me to keep my brain "happy"!
1/12/2012 2:34:17 PM
Trina United States
Trina
Oh wow! I remember watching that in middle school at our little country church in Oregon. It totally scared me, had nightmares for months and still thought about it for years growing up...it scared me so much I ended up buying the set! LOL I had to watch it as I was older so I could see how cheesy it was. Thanks for sharing, too funny.
1/12/2012 2:46:13 PM
Kim United States
Kim
I was in 7th grade and never heard of the rapture or end times before! It was traumatizing for sure! Especially when they took the dad and his little boy away to be executed.  All you see is the balloon the little boy had floating away!

So began five years of guilt and shame preaching from the youth pastor of my church which was incredibly detrimental to my walk with God -- to this day!

Ugh!  This is why I do not believe in organized religion.  I am more the ad-hoc, home church believer.  Christ and believers are found everywhere, not just in an institution.
1/12/2012 2:57:36 PM
Roxanne Algra United States
Roxanne Algra
I was in elementary school when I saw the movie "A Thief in the Night" in the theater with my mom. I will never forget how frightened I was but I wasn't afraid for me but those who got left behind! I remember crying for my Dad who did not know the Lord at the time and it bothered me until he accepted the Lord.

The most memorable scene for me was the kitchen scene and the applicances were still running and NO ONE was around.
1/12/2012 3:00:20 PM
BJ United States
BJ
I'm just left wondering what churches you guys all went to. I've been around for a while (50+ years) and wasn't subjected to this. I don't believe the Holy Spirit uses scare tactics to work faith in people's hearts.
1/12/2012 3:04:46 PM
Matt United States
Matt
Brian,

After listening to your show and reading this blog, I am wondering what your take is on the rapture. Do you believe it to be true? Do you believe that there will be those who are left behind? I look forward to hearing your answer and I am sure I am not the only listerner that is a bit confused about your take on the rapture.
1/12/2012 3:06:57 PM
Misty United States
Misty
Thank you so much for blogging/talking about your struggle with taking a medication. I take the same drug, same dosage daily, and it has made a huge difference in my relationship with God, my marriage and my mothering. Not because it has changed my personality, but because the severe anxiety that was suppressing my true heart has been removed, so that the REAL me can shine through clearly!
1/12/2012 4:50:17 PM
Brendt Waters United States
Brendt Waters
1/12/2012 4:53:26 PM
Tyler United States
Tyler
The rapture theory is not of God.  Where many obtain this theory is in 1Thessalonians 4:13-18, I don't understand how, but the whole subject is about those, who being in Christ, have passed away and if believing that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.(1 Thes 4:14)kjv.
15. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
That's the whole subject, that those who have passed on are with Him! And we who r still in the flesh body through the tribulation of antichrist unto the end (the end being Christ), r not going to prevent them who r asleep from being with Him. After antichrist, which being properly translated means instead of Christ, the Lord returns to earth and then all, including the church, who are still in the flesh body unto His coming at the last trump which is the seventh, are changed into the spiritual body, as it is written in first corinthians 15:51-52. And then He gathers the church to Him. So  Christ returns after antichrist to this earth, and yes its the same earth, and then we are gathered unto Him not before He returns but after. Why? Because the church has a duty to do.
1/12/2012 5:08:07 PM
Tyler United States
Tyler
Also there's a difference between the word earth and world the earth means soil or ground. The word world means for example the principles of this world, which you all know is really off track. But in closing this the thessalonians had trouble in understanding this subject that paul taught on about the returning of the Lord and events that must first take place. Check out 2 thessalonians 2 the whole chapter paul is correcting those at thessalonica because no doubt they were having trouble in understanding and teaching on that subject. Possibly teaching any moment doctrine. But yes stay in the Word and in His love He does cast fear where it belongs. Out the window. I love ya'll and stay steadfast.
1/12/2012 6:28:13 PM
Tyler United States
Tyler
Stedfast in His Word in His truth is peace.
1/12/2012 6:30:44 PM
scared lil kid on the inside United States
scared lil kid on the inside
I vividly remember about 2 weeks after watching this movie that I woke up one morning to an empty house, turned on the tv, and instantly FREAKED SMOOTH OUT when I saw a press conference with some Middle East diplomats!!!  Yep, thought I was left behind with no family, truly scarred me for some time! Yet, didn't push me to rush out and get my friends to church---hmmm?
1/12/2012 7:42:09 PM
Jessi United States
Jessi
I was just talking with a friend this week about this horrid movie.  My comment is the exact same as Stephanie above....I was also about 5, and the head chopping scene was terrifying!!  What ON EARTH were our parents thinking?!?!?!
1/12/2012 11:19:26 PM
Joe United States
Joe
I think the movie did what it was ment to do. The movie should have scared the HELL out of anyone who watched it.I think people need to open thier eyes and realize that the time is close, and if they dont choose, then they can expect what they seen in that movie. Godbless you all.
1/13/2012 4:56:11 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
I've never seen this movie but I grew up with a father who, at times it seemed, was obsessed with the rapture and Revelations and the end of times. This to a child, is completely traumatic and terrifying and has led to a host of anxiety problems for me from my tween years to now. I know I'm going to heaven but frankly the rapture scares the poop right outta me and I don't think scaring small children is the right way to get them to repent because it's based on fear, not a true knowledge of who Jesus is and what his purpose was and it.
1/13/2012 5:51:48 AM
Luke United States
Luke
Brian -
  I'm also confused about how you view the rapture. At one point in your show yesterday you made the comment that the rapture was a notion that some people have - making it sound like you don't believe it.
  Then you made another comment that when you walk into a vacant room and someone left something on/running it made you think that God didn't think you were good enough to be raptured. Is that salvation by works?
  I agree that the movie was a bit on the terrifying side for kids but am concerned about some of your comments.
1/13/2012 6:06:27 AM
horsegurl7 United States
horsegurl7
Jesus, i cant wait 4 u 2 come back.
1/13/2012 6:18:52 AM
Laria United States
Laria
I am very very very very very very(add about 20 more 'verys' on there and you get my point) glad that my church never had me watch that movie. I've got a thing about violence, it freaks me out a lot and 3 years ago I couldn't even think of an amputated finger without nightmares, let alone a head! And last year I started to read the Left Behind Books... yeah those are scary enough for me. No 'thief in the night' for me thank youSmile
  Awesome post Brant, as alwaysSmile
  God Bless! Laria
P.S Happy Friday the 13th everyoneSmile
1/13/2012 7:33:03 AM
Micah Clare United States
Micah Clare
Okay, hate me if you want, but "Megiddo, Omega Code II" was actually a pretty legit end-times flick.

All those old low-budget apocalypse movies touted by CBN were interesting. I can picture Jan Crouch now, shaking her pink curls, talking about how she wondered why kids were drawn to worldly entertainment when we had great movies like Apocalypse and music artists like Carmen. Foot
1/13/2012 7:36:24 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
I have to say that I am 51 and watched these movies with my children years ago. Both of my boys are serving Jesus today. One of them actually has the series of these movies and watches them often. One of my boys feels the same way some have expressed on this site. I feel they are anointed movies...yes they scare us...but somtimes that is reality.
I told someone recently that I have heard people that would complain about these movies but let their children watch some of the horror movies out today and be ok with that. I came to the Lord somewhat out of fear but quickly learned of His awesome love; grace and mercy. I still think the movies have been used for God's glory and have brought many to the cross.
1/13/2012 8:31:45 AM
Matt United States
Matt
Brant,
& others!

There continues to be a question about what you are saying about the Rapture and what you believe will happen at the end times. Yes the word says that nothing can every take us away from the hand of God, but we have the choice to walk away from him. Far too many people today believe that all one needs to do is say a simple prayer and live life the "best" that they can and everything will be ok. The word of God also says that MANY will perish and the road into heaven is narrow. Jesus told the woman your sins have been forgiven and go sin "NO" more not go sin "SOME More". Yes God most certainly God is Love and full of grace and mercy. One of the largest mistakes with "religion" today is that our society is trying to mold God into who we want him to be, not who he really is. If all of us would take time to truly ready and study ALL of God's word and not only pick out the parts that we like, we would know that God is calling to himself a bride that is clean and pure without blemish. God is a God of Love, grace, and mercy, but he is also a God of Judgement. Reading the word of God it is pretty clear that the one true God is a God that will Judge each and every one of his people. Every day we must ask ourselves who we will serve. We are going to serve somebody. God or the Devil. In the choices we make everyday, we all need to ask ourselves that question. God says taht he will spit out those who are lukewarm. We are to be HOT for the Lord. We must be all or nothing and we must WAKE-UP And be the people God has called us to be.
For the Last 8 years I had  been living a lie and struggling with an addiction to Pron and Lust. I would continually ask God to forgive me and I would end up right back were I was, and even falling deeper and deeper. During this time I was married to my loving wife and had 4 beautiful kids. This past fall I ending up having an affair and my Wife found out about it. I was told to leave my home. My older kids helping throw my things into black garbage bags. Thankfully I was blessed to have a God serving Grandpa that I was able to go live with. I found myself with God and GOd alone. I dug into his word with all that I had. I would read and read about the Lords Judgement on his people. With Gods Judgement he longs to Restore his people to himself. I praise the Lord that he gave me the strength to stand and when all was lost, I reached-up and he pulled me up. If I would have died before this I know I would have been in the pit of Hell. To God be the the glory. I also praise God I was blessed with a God fearing and loving woman who would only listen to the Lord. I am happy to say that on December 23 we restored our vows in front of our Pastors and several very close friends. We now have a marriage that I could have onyl dreamed of before... The Lord has given me a heart for Men and Family. I never want another man or family to go through what I/we did. Only through the power of Jesus Christ can we be free.
So this day... Who will you serve
1/13/2012 11:42:55 AM
Kathy United States
Kathy
I remember our Youth Minister renting this movie from the local Christian bookstore when it came out.  He showed it to us when we had an all nighter youth sleep over at the Church. I think I was in 7th grade at the time.  I only remember bits and pieces of it, like the person who was mowing their lawn, and then the camera looks up at the clouds and then when it goes back to the person mowing their lawn, you just see the lawn mower. I remember a preacher being left behind, and how the only way you could get food, etc was by having the "mark" on you.  I also remember people being beheaded for not taking the "Mark", because they chose God.  I remember being scared once after seeing that movie, when I thought my parents were home, and I couldn't find them or my brother.  That feeling of, "Have I been left behind", very traumatic for a young kid. I am Glad that God will never leave me nor forsake me!
1/14/2012 8:23:13 AM
Ann United States
Ann
I saw "A Thief in the Night" when I was a new Christian, age 15 or so.  I was full of righteousness so I knew I wouldn't be left behind, but the movie was thrilling, nonetheless.  I began to worry for my family, and started nagging my alcoholic parents and baby sister, "Have you been saved?"  My dad started calling me a witch burner.
I loved the song "Left Behind" - we sang it in youth group.  I was delighted, a lifetime later, to find it on my DC-Talk Greatest Hits CD.  aww, memories!
1/15/2012 11:43:02 AM
Ken Hagerman Paraguay
Ken Hagerman
Clearly the tags say everything you need to know:Jesus, apocalypse, sideburns. With those three words I could fill in the gaps and pretty much know the whole movie.
1/17/2012 1:06:53 AM
Cheese Doodle Bandit United States
Cheese Doodle Bandit
I've never seen it.

Another Rapture movie for you to enjoy - "The Moment After" (and its sequel, "The Moment After II").
1/18/2012 12:59:55 PM
Chris Ishida United States
Chris Ishida
I was just explaining to this to my son-in-law a couple of weeks ago. That was such a horrible thing to let children watch that even into my thirties if I couldn't find my mom(a staunch Christian) or get her on the phone I was sure the rapture had come. And to add to that we attended a church that proclaimed the necessity of being sanctified(meaning PERFECTED) and no matter how many times I prayed I was never able to be PERFECT. I am so glad I finally have a church that is real people, really living in their love(not fear) for Christ. And what I wouldn't have given in the late 70s early 80s for music like I have now on AIR1.
1/18/2012 1:14:17 PM
Tanya United States
Tanya
Remember y2k?  The end of the world?  I woke up early that morning in labor.  I wanted to let my husband sleep a while longer because I knew we had a full day ahead.  I went to the livingroom and turned on the television.  It was tuned to a religious channel - not sure why, we we not in the habit of watching this channel.  The first words spoken to me that morning were, "If you are watching this, you have been left behind.  We made this video and are broadcasting it today to tell you about what happened and what will happen next...."

That is a very mean thing to do to a pregnant woman in the early stages of labor.

I quickly flipped through channels and realized that all the other channels had on regular New Year's Day broadcasting.  I hadn't been left behind to give birth by myself.

A couple hours later we drove through Los Angeles to go the hospital.  (Long story short - we moved from SE Los Angeles to Valencia a few months earlier and changing doctors was nearly impossible.) It took us 35 minutes to drive through LA.  That never happens.  Anyone who has traveled through the I-5, I-10, 101, 60 interchange knows that it is usually a traffic jam.  We met a grand total of 3 cars during the entire drive.  Very eerie.  The flying-wing bomber circling the high rises of LA added to the strangeness.

But we made it in time to the hospital and my beautiful daughter has a very cool birthday.

Moral of the story:  Don't joke about the rapture with a woman in labor.
1/20/2012 7:24:00 AM
C-LO United States
C-LO
OMG! How funny I couldn't stop LOL! Man brings back memories. My brother and I recently made our kids watch it and they thought we were nutz for being so scared. They kept laughing at the trendy clothes and side-burns. Now I can't stop humming that song THX.
4/7/2013 9:42:03 PM
imported German shepherds United States
imported German shepherds
Thanks for any other great article. Where else may anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect method of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the search for such info.