Nov 10 2011
The Totally Not Safe for the Family Christian Radio Podcast: Christian Music, Sex, and Free Expression

Click HERE to listen!

Our guest is Dan Haseltine of the band Jars of Clay, and founder of BloodWaterMission

Dan talks about whether Christian musicians should write more songs about sex.  He also -- wait, you're not reading this anymore, are you?

11/10/2011 5:12:37 PM
Demetreanna United States
Demetreanna
Just listened to the blog... it really made me think. I'm always open to discussions about deep topics so I was intrigued about this one. I definitely gives me something to ponder... I don't directly agree or disagree with having sex in Christian music but the things he brought up about how sexuality is a part of life is so true. I mean isn't Songs of Solomon has sexual figurative language and I don't hear Christians saying that God is immoral and has a dirty mind.... I dunno. Definitely something to discuss with my friends Smile
11/10/2011 6:13:07 PM
Jay United States
Jay
Wow, that's refreshing and a lot of truth there.  I think the church doesn't want to preach the beauty of sexuality because there's so much abuse in the world of the gift but it is a part of who we are as created by God.  I have found that knowing who God is is thanking him for my sexuality - in singleness and marriage.
11/10/2011 7:01:22 PM
brant United States
brant
Several people, via Facebook and email, brought up the Song of Solomon, and I can understand why.

...but the Bible is earthy, honest, at time rated "R" for violence, sexuality, and language.  While there's a segment of American church culture who wants it to be super-nice and clean, it just isn't, because life isn't, and Truth isn't.

I suspect Dan's impression that it would NOT sell, then, among the church market, is likely on-target.  The Bible is very, very scandalous, both in it's "mature" content, and the story of breathtaking grace it contains for all of us.
11/10/2011 10:36:57 PM
Janille United States
Janille
I really liked this podcast.  I like the idea of Christian musicians addressing the issue of sex in their music.  I recently took my oldest children along with some of their friends to a Winter Jam concert.  I can't remember all of the statistics mentioned at one point but basically, Christians aren't doing any better than "the world" in this area.  Christians are having sex out of wedlock, at young ages, having abortions, etc. and nearly at the same rates as those who don't claim to be Christian.  No need to sweep the issue under the rug and pretend it's not there.  We all know that it is.

Christian music has changed a lot since I was in high school (twenty years ago *cough*) and it's only gotten better.  I had huge battles with my parents over music and within reason, it's not one I'm willing to have with my own kids.  I don't require them to only listen to Christian music but I'm more than willing to encourage it and I'm more likely to take them to a show when I'm confident we aren't going to be dealing with drugs, alcohol and sex going on in front of me while we're there.  However, songs about the difficulties of dealing with those issues don't bother me at all.  I try to have conversations with them about the lyrics of some of the mainstream songs that I allow them to listen to, especially the ones that I'm allowing with reservations.  I'd encourage more discussion on difficult topics with songs from artists that I felt were coming from a position nearer to my own.  I feel like Skillet and Ben Folds Five (and others, I'm sure) have skirted the edges of the abortion issue and the world didn't fall apart.  The kids are hearing it, seeing it, possibly doing it, we can address it.
11/11/2011 6:11:21 AM
Alan C Australia
Alan C
Sara Groves "Roll to the middle" was just about a conciliatory hug, right?
11/12/2011 7:34:27 AM
Nicole United States
Nicole
This podcast was so intriguing. I'm with brant, I would buy their songs about sexuality. It's a part of life, and we completely ignore the gift God gave us. It was a gift. As someone who plays guitar, I get it. It's always a challenge to say what you want to without being so harsh but sometimes we need a shock, a wAke up call. Thanks for the interesting convo
12/7/2011 5:05:49 PM
Chris United States
Chris
An excellent podcast! Thanks Brant and Dan!
2/15/2013 6:52:04 PM
Dorsey Clizbe United States
Dorsey Clizbe
Loans on Car Title albuquerque, Car Title For Loan albuquerque, Cash For Car albuquerque, Instant Auto Title Loans shows great flexibility. http://www.albuquerque-cartitleloans.com