Oct 06 2011
The Totally Not Safe for the Family Christian Radio Podcast

Jesus isn't safe.

Yeah, I know: Duh.

Oh, we've tried to make him safe, but he remains the most dangerous man who ever lived.  People who reject Christianity still say they approve of Jesus... but he's a tamer Jesus, who doesn't go around saying remarkable things that would rock their world, if they believed it.  And people, like me, who embrace Christianity say they approve of Jesus... but he's a tamer Jesus, who doesn't go around saying remarkable things that would rock their world, if they believed it.

Hence the title of what will likely be a weekly podcast.  I understand the "safe for the family" positioning statement of many Christian radio stations.  They're saying, "You can listen to this station with your kids in the car, and we'll show respect for how you're trying to raise your kids."  That's something few radio stations deliver, and it's admirable, and it's smart programming.  As a dad, I even appreciate it.

...but here's another means to talk about stuff, if you're interested.  As always, just like on the blog, the views expressed aren't everyone's at Air1, and may not even be mine by next week.  I'm learning.  These conversations aren't meant to be sermons, they are just that -- conversations, which, by way of comment on this blog, you are invited to join!

-------------------

Podcast 1

Click Here to listen to the podcast

Guest:  Recording artist "Plumb"

Subject: A mom, from a conservative background, grapples with what it means to love people who are homosexual

Some other stuff on the blog you might want to read, about this sort of thing:  "Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin?", and "Breakfast and Honesty"

10/6/2011 2:15:45 PM
Kelli United States
Kelli
Nice graphic...much better than the shoes you bought...lol
10/6/2011 2:34:35 PM
glaze United States
glaze
i cant wait to listen!  but have to wait for the mr to come home...we are so excited about this series Smile
10/6/2011 2:35:29 PM
brant United States
brant
Ha!  But the shoes are incredibly comfortable...

A thought from Facebook about the podcast:

Jason asked about how we make clear the seriousness of sin, all the  while loving people.  Here's my too-brief response, but it might be worth including here:

I'm not trying to reform people's moral behavior. I'm trying to introduce him/her to Jesus. That means sharing the Good News, which takes ALL sin very seriously.

But that also means trusting the Lord with their behavior, and someone who genuinely calls on Him WILL find Him. And He has a timeline with all of us.

Also, I do think there's a level of being "invited" into that conversation that has to happen. I see people giving that invitation AFTER being loved, and never before being loved. -- if that makes any sense?
10/6/2011 2:39:56 PM
Rob United States
Rob
Wow. Powerful stuff. This is worth listening to more than once. Thank you.
10/6/2011 8:11:57 PM
Josh United States
Josh
Loved this! I'll be tuning in every week!
10/7/2011 8:59:22 AM
Nate United States
Nate
Brant this was great, I'm going to pass this podcast on to others, i wish more christains would realize how Christianity really works and live it, but we are so stuck in our traditionalist views that it is hard. How do we encourage people to open their eyes and their hearts?
10/7/2011 10:29:10 AM
josh lauritch United States
josh lauritch
this is fantastic! thanks for posting brant. keep it up!
10/7/2011 11:49:17 AM
brant United States
brant
Thanks!

And Nathan, I'm wondering on that question, too.  People are very, very primed to find some kind of sin-affirmational liberalism when anyone discusses loving sinners, particularly in this arena, I think.

I couldn't be less about affirming sexual sin.  But I think there a couple groups of "conservatives" on this:  People who are very religious in spirit, and are "mutterers", like those who muttered when Jesus went to Zacchaeus' home.

And then there are well-intentioned ones who have seen ministries, or people, move from a commitment to Biblical truth to affirming brokenness, and even celebrating sin.  While the former need to just plain grow up, I do understand the concerns of the latter, but they need not be concerned in my case.  I am not affirming my sin, or anyone else's.  I'm acknowledging it, and I know that it's because I was first LOVED that I can give my heart to Christ.  When I was yet a sinner, He loved me.

I hope to do the same for everyone else, and not just in a theoretical, from-a-distance manner.  This will cause people to mutter.

10/7/2011 12:31:27 PM
Arney United States
Arney
This was awesome! So real and I never thought about the idea that, when we act judgementally towards people, we may actually showing a lack of faith. Keep these podcasts coming!
10/7/2011 2:45:58 PM
Jewely United States
Jewely
Yah know, sin is sin is sin. And somone suffering from any sin is usually miserable deep down inside. They may not know WHY, but they usually know it's there.

Luckily for those who know Christ on an intimate level know how to get rid of that misery... as for His forgiveness and accept His sacrafice on the cross! PRAISE GOD!

And no one wants their dirty laundry brought up to their nose - ESPECIALLY by someone they don't know... We have to first love them. And to do that, we have to get to know them. And yes, sometimes *gasp* even become friends with them! When they find out we all have dirty laundry - and God doesn't see anyone's dirty laundry as worse than anyone else's - it is then they might open up to God's Word... if we present it with love.

Guess what - he who is without sin may cast that first stone! (hmmm... seems to get awfully quiet when Jesus says that one!)

Brant - these Podcasts are awesome - what's the chance of getting them for download on my iTouch? Would love to listen to them in the car!!!!

10/7/2011 10:25:17 PM
Joe United States
Joe
@Jewely Just right click on the link and click "Save As." Make sure it has .mp3 at the end, find the folder you want it in and save it. Then you can just import it into iTunes and put it on your iPod Touch.
10/8/2011 7:43:41 PM
Valerie United States
Valerie
Just earlier this week I took the Air1 Mixology survey, and it had a question along of the lines of 'what do you really enjoy about Air1?'. There are a lot of things I could answer to that question, but recently it has been that Air1 now has a DJ that is willing to address the difficult issues (and have even wished at times my drive home was longer so I could hear more of the discussion). When I heard today that there was a podcast on your blog that wasn't 'family friendly', I couldn't wait to listen to it. Ah finally something deeper...and it didn't disappoint (and reading some of your other blog entries, especially The List, was eye-opening as well)!

I hope you have future podcasts/dicussions about homosexuality because I work with a gal and wonder how in the world can I witness to her without pushing her away. She is is a BLAST to be around, doesn't know a stranger, and has a knack for making everyone feel invited, and I think, 'man, she would make a great Christian if she only knew Christ'. But hearing your story of the hairdresser and even Tiffany's remark on how just asking about a guys husband can make all the difference, it really encouraged me. I don't know what ways God may already be using me to witness, so I should just stop stressing about it!

I know this is brand new, but did you have this idea to ask about homosexulaity when Plumb was in studio, or did you get the idea from somewhere else?
10/10/2011 12:42:19 AM
Ely United States
Ely
Awesome podcast! Just listened to it! and I am glad I did. These are things we do have to talk about, and just like you guys said, we learn, and we grow at the same time. Thanks so much! God bless
10/10/2011 11:42:22 AM
brant United States
brant
Thanks for the comments!

Valerie, that's interesting about your co-worker.  I like where this seems to be going.  You already LIKE her.  I think, based on experience, that fact, alone, will make it more likely you can have great conversations with her.

I've learned it's not my job to make people feel guilty for their sin.  The Holy Spirit does an excellent job of convicting us.  And it's a given that we're all sinners in need of a savior.  In this respect, your coworker is no different from any of your other coworkers.  God is so good.  If anyone calls out to Him, he/she WILL find Him (Jeremiah 29.)  And the Holy Spirit works to change us.  We need to be there to encourage and build each other up as He works in our lives.

So glad you already see the beauty in your co-worker's personality, even as you see her humanness.
10/11/2011 7:40:37 AM
Nate United States
Nate
Brant I totally agree, I've been touching on this this subject with the young adult minsitry at our church, and it has been great. Man, I would love to sit down and talk over a cup of coffee sometime, If you ever make it to Grand Junction, CO.
10/13/2011 1:41:48 PM
rachel United States
rachel
This podcast really resonated with me. I completely agree with the discussion about loving people, regardless of their sin, because we all sin.  But I have kind of a followup question.  What about the situation like in NY and other states where people are lobbying to legalize same sex marriage and people are lobbying against it for moral/biblical reasons?  I was living in NY when all of this was going down (it was legalized in June). Should we be involved? should we say nothing? What is the standard God requires of us in that situation? I'm inclined to think marriage should not be a state-recognized thing, but obviously we are beyond that. With the furthering of legislation like NY's we are moving toward a situation where it will eventually be illegal for Christians to talk about sin, even in a loving way.  I think it is wrong to do nothing. However, to take a stand on that issue would make one seem to be cruel and heartless in the eyes of those on the other side of the issue. I don't know. I'm burned out from the political games, yet to do nothing gives other people free reign with who to elect and what issues to push on their legislators and their fellow citizens.
10/13/2011 5:34:11 PM
Demetreanna United States
Demetreanna
@Rachel
Yeah my mom and I talk about it all the time. It's tough in CA because of Prop 8 and people want it to be overturned and it's always being discussed. I have come to one conclusion though: same-sex marriage is banned here but does that make anything better? I mean yeah people aren't able to marry the same sex but have Christians walked in love more so as a result? Schools and media are still teaching kids that individuals are born this way. Is this making the church try harder to love and reach out? We are just saying that they are wrong and God hates you. I guess what I'm saying is that regardless of whether same-sex marriage is legal or not, we need to ask God to help us not condemn and to maybe even form relationships with them and be a good influence. I think that once we all do that together we will see a change in society.
10/14/2011 7:25:14 PM
Denise United States
Denise
For anyone interested, here's a link to a music video for Plummet's version of Damaged.

10/15/2011 12:12:57 PM
Noeiza United States
Noeiza
"Commentary on the Spiritualy Bankrup"
HI Mr Brant, although i dont totaly agree with your points of viw, or opinions or whatever you wanna call  them, but i guess it would be vise versa!
but i respect the fact that you tell the truth and you dont care if youre gonna offend anyone, "thats what the word of God does, and it  even, quotes on the new testament, that in the last days "many will be offednded! if God gave you that Job its for a reason, and He is up to something.
sometimes i feel so misunderstoo, but thats just a feeling, "my walk its not by feelings or by sight, but by faith"
Hope yuo  understand me!
Oh,
that song song you play on sundays, on the clube awsomed,, its ugly, and dum but its realy funny!!\
im not telling you to get rid of it either, you are the dj, and you play whatever you wanna play, but
its ugly and funny!!
again hope that you don misunderstand me.
Hope you like the song Seasons Change!!
11/2/2011 5:41:53 AM
Arike Netherlands
Arike
Hello (Christian,
Touch me, I am not scary
I am not contagious
I open my eyes, your eyes and
Let you discover yourself, myself
Welcome to my) world!