Aug 25 2011
Dear Everybody: You're Off the Hook

Dear Everybody,

How are you?  I am fine.

Anyway, Everybody, I’m writing you, to let you know I’ve reached a verdict.  Everybody, I've been watching you, and I’ve seen what you’ve done, including, but not limited to:  Voting for the wrong people, believing things I don’t, doing things I don’t approve of, and just generally being stupid.  And acting like selfish jerks.  And that time one of you cheated in Scholastic Bowl and totally cost me the game.

I totally saw you do that, Everybody.

I came to a verdict, it's this:  I'm not actually allowed to reach a verdict.  That's right.  You’re off the hook.  Off mine, anyway. So congrats.

Turns out, upon review – and I didn’t want to admit this, but: I don’t REALLY know what motivated you to do that stuff.  I hate that, because I wanted to be angry about it.  It made me feel better about me when I thought I DID know everyone’s deepest motivations.  But then I read in the Bible where Paul writes that no one knows someone else’s heart, and, he says, he doesn’t even know his OWN heart, so he has to let God sort it out in the end, he says.

Rats.  I liked knowing exactly where you bad people stood with God.

I liked pretending I knew who the “good Christians” are, too, like this athlete or that musician or this celebrity.  Turns out, I don’t even know that.  Makes sense to admit it, now that I remember all the people who seemed so good, so wonderful…who managed to fool even their spouses for decades.

Bummer. I liked pretending I knew.  Maybe it helped me to think, “That guy has his moral act together, so it’s possible we can do this religion thing, too!”  But I think that's because I was really a moralist, and wanted to believe I could be "clean", too, somehow, based on what I do.

----------

So, Everybody, you’re off the hook.  I don’t know your heart, and don’t expect you to be more than you are, which is a broken person, in need of Jesus. From now on, when I meet you, Everybody, I’ll just assume that’s the case.  I do know this:  You need more Jesus.  And so do I.

Everybody, I think I had you on trial, but it’s over. This particular judge has been ruled incompetent for trial.

The good news, for me:  This is going to save me some serious time and energy.  I can do other stuff, like just take a walk, or maybe laugh more about dumb stuff with my kids.

Or maybe even with you, sometime.

God bless you, Everybody,
Brant

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (29) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

8/25/2011 1:52:34 PM
Adam Kneib United States
Adam Kneib
Dear Brant,

Thank you Brant, and, welcome to Air1.

Your words help make the practice of being non-judgemental relatable to (i hope) all of us.

A kind reminder that there's no call for arrogance and prejudice.

Best wishes for you, you're work and your beautiful family.

Adam
St Joseph, MO
8/25/2011 2:18:42 PM
Dana United States
Dana
Wow!  Thanks Brant.  Sometimes I am the self-proclaimed judge of the masses and it is ideed exhausting.  My favorite line from you post was this:  "I don’t REALLY know what motivated you to do that stuff.  I hate that, because I wanted to be angry about it.  It made me feel better about me when I thought I DID know everyone’s deepest motivations."  Wow!  Thank you and God Bless!

Dana :o)
8/25/2011 2:58:03 PM
Sandi Felkner United States
Sandi Felkner
Wow!  That was awesome! I, too, am so guilty of judging others...if even for a quick second, then I make myself stop.  I hate it! I think I'll just forget about it and go out in the sunchine.  Maybe even talk to Jesus for a bit. Thanks for your wise words.  You make me think and I LOVE that!
8/25/2011 2:59:57 PM
Courtney United States
Courtney
Dear Brant,

I have really enjoyed your humor since you have been on Air1. Please keep it up!

Courtney
Dekalb,Il
8/25/2011 3:09:30 PM
Sandi Felkner United States
Sandi Felkner
Now I'm just embarrassed. I swear I checked my comment before I sent it.  I'm sorry.  I cant believe I spelled sunshine wrong.  UGH! Please dont judge me.  LOL!
8/25/2011 5:43:22 PM
Lauren.H
Lauren.H
Hey Brant could ya do me a HUGE favor pleeease?
     (respond, and THEN ill keep going Smile)
8/26/2011 11:35:46 AM
brant United States
brant
I'm responding, Lauren!
8/26/2011 2:12:13 PM
Lauren.H United States
Lauren.H
AWESOMENESS!!!!

OK, sooooooo

1. KEEP UP THE FUNNINESS!!!! I heard you do the whole miming thing the other day and it was hilarious Smile you are one of my FAVORITE DJ's and I luv listening to ya!

2. I suggest (and tell this to whoever is in charge of the contests) that you do a contest that includes 2 people getting to hang out with Anthem Lights for a day in Nashville!!!! Laughing  And the contest would be that whoever gives you the BEST reason for you to go hang with them, wins. Laughing if there is an email address for me to send this contest idea too, you would be my FAVORITE DJ Smile

so with all that to say, thank you for responding and let me know what you think!!!! Laughing

God Bless you and Air1! Smile
8/26/2011 4:35:40 PM
peggy sue United States
peggy sue
you are a flipping maniac!  but so far i have to agree with your stance on pretty much everyhing i've heard
btw...the funniest thing you said was "there's probalbly a reason why the producers' usually here."
too funny!  (excellent dely)
8/26/2011 8:11:54 PM
Lora United States
Lora
I love how you weave satirical humor laced with thought-provoking truth!  Makes me laugh & think at the same time.  I love that kind of comedy!
8/27/2011 2:25:06 PM
Lauren.H United States
Lauren.H
I think Brant has abandoned us ... Frown

... lol jkjk haha i just HAD to say something lol
8/28/2011 3:44:19 AM
Cait United States
Cait
Humorous, yet humbling at the same time
8/28/2011 10:55:15 AM
Sabrina United States
Sabrina
I am soooo missing you on my way to work! I am glad that I found you.  I'll have to livestream here from Colorado.  All the best to you and your family!
8/28/2011 2:20:49 PM
Lauren.H United States
Lauren.H
Question: Was Brant on another radio station or something? It's confusing because I've only known him from Air1 lol Tong
8/28/2011 6:32:26 PM
Bree
Bree
Hey Lauren and i was wondering what brants job was before he worked for air1 and that is amazing he responds i love that and love his show i was so sad that Lisa and Erik left but because i always listened to Klove cause its the only station i kinda get in the car and then i found air1 and you made me so much happier when i listened to your show or whatever its called
8/28/2011 6:32:55 PM
Bree
Bree
and Lauren did you get that comment from Jonathan ?
8/28/2011 6:33:51 PM
Bree
Bree
Hey my  character is the same everytime! thats amazing or im easily entertained Laughing
8/28/2011 11:13:49 PM
Mel United States
Mel
Exodus 18:22
8/29/2011 9:14:58 AM
Aaron United States
Aaron
"I'm not all I should be, but I'm better than I used to be." We all need more Jesus in our lives.
8/29/2011 4:52:48 PM
Lauren.H United States
Lauren.H
Brant thank you SO SO much for taking my call and letting me talk to you and Anthem Lights I was and still am the happiest person in the WORLD Laughing They are my most favorite band in the entire world as you already know and that was  a complete dream come true to be able to talk to them!! Laughing Thank you SO SO much for having them and for playing me on the air Smile

Now next on my list, is to become personal friends with them, MEET them someday, and become the next Francesca Battistelli and go on tour with them!!!! Laughing God Bless you ALL and if you dont mind spreading the word to them that they totally made my night, that would make me so very happy Smile

Thanks again and GOD BLESS!!!!
Lauren. An Anthem Lights Lightbulb Laughing
8/29/2011 7:51:22 PM
Bree
Bree
Yeah I love anthem lights and was got there albulm i think they should come Creationfest 2012 i love them so much ecsecially caleb i have drove my mom crazy listening to them but there music never geets old. I LOvE MEN THAT LOVE JESUS! (ecspecially Caleb Grimm) and Lauren loves Chad
8/30/2011 6:32:49 AM
Lauren.H United States
Lauren.H
haha well, i dont exactly LOVE him, but I do think he's cute Smile
8/30/2011 11:22:28 AM
Lori United States
Lori
Brant, Keep on doing what you are doing, you are a real blessing. I love listening to you talk. You will tell the truth, HIS truth and we may not want to hear it, but that is too bad, we need to hear what is right not what we want to hear.
Welcome, I love each and every one of you on Air1.
Lori
9/2/2011 6:13:54 PM
Lauren
Lauren
This page seems lonely soooo

LETS GIVE IT A 35! HA! oooohhh yeeeeaaaahhh Smile
9/2/2011 6:14:34 PM
Lauren
Lauren
LOL MY BAD!

25! HA! ooohhhh yeeeeaaaaahhhh Smile lol
9/2/2011 7:41:52 PM
Stefany United States
Stefany
Brant, this was really good for me to read.  I have been working on being less judgmental and critical of others.  It saps so much energy, and honestly... it's not *my* job, is it?  I have enough to work on in my own heart, so I'm going to mind my own "P's and Q's" (as my mother would say).  Thanks ~ you're a real blessing.
9/10/2011 4:42:10 PM
Em United States
Em
You rock Brant!I strugle with judging all the time. I just remember that I am not perfict ether.
10/29/2011 11:10:04 AM
fashion United States
fashion
That is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and stay up for searching for more of your excellent post. Additionally, I have shared your site in my social networks!
2/10/2013 8:19:16 PM
Faith United States
Faith
Honestly, while I was reading this, I got kinda freaked out because this is about how God is the judge and not us, and a Relient K song ('Hope for Every Fallen Man [Acoustic]) was playing on my iPod. On Shuffle. With 286 or so other songs to choose from.

"Because the judge of you is someone I could never be is why you should thank the Lord that it is Him and it's not me...But don't give up, it's not the end, there's hope for every fallen man, to pick themselves up when they think they can't..." etc. And then right when it got really good, "Take a good look at yourself and know: you've got yourself a ways to go, but difficult is not impossible, you can take back all the lost control. Take a good look at yourself and see that you'll emerge eventually, as long as your heart's not too far gone from the only thing that can save you from yourself..." (Sorry for the superlong comment, I just thought it was significant. Maybe God is trying to tell me something...)

Pingbacks and trackbacks (3)+