Jul 18 2011
The "Rules" of the Show

I meet people often who say, "You know, when I first heard you on the air, I thought you were (insert your own thing here, along the lines of "big sarcastic jerk") but then I started to understand what you're doing, and..."

So I thought I'd write this.  You may still think I'm a big sarcastic jerk, but at least you'll see what I was TRYING to do...

A Guide for New Listeners: The Rules of the Show

1. This show probably isn't what you think.

You'll think you've heard this before, like it's the typical radio show, but it's really not. Honest.

It may take you a bit, too, to realize it. But this show isn't about people trying to be cool, or how awesome I, Brant, am. And we'd sure be in trouble if it were. I'm a nerd.

It's not about a desperate need for attention, or ratings, or trying to be shocking, or crazy, to make a splash. We're not even trying to make you a better Christian, or better American, or a better anything, really.

Shoot, it's not about me. Or even about you. And that's a pretty crazy thing to say, in the radio business. Even crazier: We're doing a "Christian radio" show, and it's not about Christianity.

Ultimately -- and we hope this shines through, in time -- this show is about Jesus. We believe He is alive, and His Kingdom is the good news, particularly for the poor, the outcast, the lonely, the marginalized. We talk about, and try to demonstrate, that Kingdom a lot, even when we're not using the word "kingdom".

2. Brant is a nerdy guy, but he doesn't know everything. Or anything close to it. And he knows it.

Only Jesus is your Teacher. Any Christian "air personality" or star preacher or author or expert or whoever who suggests, however subtly, that he should be your authority? He's ignoring his own brokenness. We are all brothers and sisters. Equals. Let's grow toward Jesus, together. He, alone, is our Leader.

I have strong, and often considered, opinions on many things (like that last point might demonstrate.) But I reserve the right, at all times, to be wrong. I'm learning, too. I'm not humble about Truth, but I'm certainly humble about my ability to always apprehend it.

3. Everyone is welcome.

That means everybody.

Democrat, Republican, Tea Party-people, atheist, agnostic, Protestant, Catholic, young, old, hip, not-hip, married, single, divorced, pro-choice, pro-life, white/black/Hispanic/Pacific Islander/whatever, artists, jocks, loners, depressed, Joel Osteen fans, John Piper fans, tall, short, thin, thick...freaks of all kinds: You are welcome here.

We're freaks, too. We love you.

4. Some stuff will seem completely random and make no sense to you.

This is because some stuff will be completely random and make no sense to anyone.

5. Your views may be challenged.

Honestly: If you're looking for affirmation of everything you already think, you'll probably hate this show.

If you, say, prefer complex religion, or absolutely love the status quo in American church culture, you likely will turn the show off. Vaya con Dios, and may -- truly -- God bless you.

6. The show is not specifically FOR kids, but we do love them.

We're not doing a show for six year-olds. We're not going to talk down to intelligent adults. This said, we love children, and we welcome them. I'm a dad who's vigilant about what my kids hear and see, and I respect parents who are trying to do the same thing.

7. We won't always tie things in a little spiritual bow for you.

Sometimes, we'll let you draw your own conclusions. Make no mistake: This drives some Christian radio listeners crazy.

But it bugged people when Jesus did it, too. He's the best teacher, ever, so I'm going with it.

8. Not every conversation will be Spiritual (TM).

Yes, I'll talk of "shoes, ships, cabbages, and kings." Not just topics for daily devotionals.

This is because this is how we actually talk. I'm an actual human, and I don't want to suddenly turn into Super Spiritual Man when the "on-air" light is on.  I live in the world of TV and Jiffy Lube and dogs and neighbors and work pressure and traffic and macaroni and cheese and sunburns and NFL games and gum on our shoes, just like you do.

What's more, I don't draw a hard line between "sacred" and "secular", or "churchy" and "the real world", or "Godly" and "mundane". I think God owns everything. It's all His, and He wants it all back. If you believe all conversations must be overtly church-centered, by your definition, or they are simply rubbish, we disagree with you. We think God not only has a sense of humor, He delights in it, and the detail of our lives. Our lives aren't mundane, really, they're filled with meaning, and surprising joy, by our Creator.

He loves our uniqueness. He loves our laughter, loves our strangeness, the ups and downs, the whole thing. He loves US.

9. We are honored that you listen. We're honored that anyone listens.

When a single 10 year-old says she listens to me "every day!" -- I'm honored beyond words, and thank God for connecting me to her life. She's as important as any artist we play, any "celebrity" we interview, and certainly as important as I am.

I thank God for every person who listens. To think he allows US to play a role in your life? Amazing.

10. As serious as I can be, I want this show to be joyful.

"Seriously joyful", maybe. Bob Dylan said heaven will sound like "echoes of laughter", and I think he's on to something, there. We know you're busy, we know it's just a radio show, and we know it won't last forever. People move, jobs change, radio stations come and go. Ultimately, we have lasting hope only in Jesus, the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End.

My wife used to have a t-shirt with a message I liked a lot, and I hope it captures the heart of the show.

Life is hard. God is good. Let's dance.

7/19/2011 6:46:51 AM
Valerie United States
Valerie
Welcome Brant!  Glad to see you're still within reach.  Loved listening to you at your prior station and will gladly tune you in again on Air1.

Val in Louisville, KY
7/19/2011 8:47:40 AM
Claudia Lopez United States
Claudia Lopez
I am looking forward to your show, welcome Brant!!
7/19/2011 8:53:25 AM
Diane United States
Diane
Love your introduction.  Can't wait to hear you on the air.  Bring it on!!
7/19/2011 12:48:52 PM
Whist United States
Whist
Can't wait!!! Smile
7/19/2011 2:05:59 PM
Neal United States
Neal
My wife and I love you Brant. We live in West Virginia and listened to you on the WORD FM, when you stated you were leaving the morning slot we were devestated. We have listen to your morning show for many years. I am so glad that GOD has blessed us with YOU on Air 1. I love your style and how you get people to think about Jesus. Go Baby Monkey!!!!!!!
Neal Hall
7/19/2011 2:33:28 PM
Tim United States
Tim
Brant, great to have you back, buddy. Missed you over the past couple of weeks. Know you will be a good fit here.
7/19/2011 2:52:34 PM
Trish United States
Trish
Welcome to Air1...you're blog has intrigued me. I'll be listening!! I like your wife's t-shirt saying...great attitude.
7/19/2011 2:52:34 PM
Kevin United States
Kevin
Brant, this is my first time hearing about you man and I love the positive attitude of exploring the job. The new and mysterious, way to tackle it and I look forward to hearing you often. Thanks.
7/19/2011 2:52:49 PM
Kevin United States
Kevin
7/19/2011 2:54:55 PM
callie United States
callie
just read "the rules of the show" can't wait! really looking forward to "a breathe of fresh air"
7/19/2011 3:02:21 PM
Liz from Oregon United States
Liz from Oregon
Welcome Brant! The west coast needs Jesus more than ever and you/Air One is a light in the darkness!  Keep spinning the truth tracks and spreading the Hope!
7/19/2011 3:27:22 PM
Joe United States
Joe
Woo Hoo, we gots Brant on the Left Coast, y'all!!!

Looking forward to hearing you in real time, Brant!

God Bless you heaps!
7/19/2011 3:43:59 PM
Lorna Ammons United States
Lorna Ammons
Hey Brant! Kudos to you for bein' on MY radio dial.  Lovin' it so far,keep it up! Sorry, don't know nothin' about you,but that's good. No expectations, only surprises, who don't like surprises, right? Do good I'll be listenin'. Sure did enjoy the read about what your show is gonna be doin'.   NOTW
7/19/2011 3:52:04 PM
cecile United States
cecile
Thank you for putting Jesus first and for being real. I will be listening.
7/19/2011 4:02:42 PM
Charlotte United States
Charlotte
Welcome Brant
7/19/2011 4:08:33 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Ok, Brant, I succumbed to your "bribe" and came here to find your Facebook page and "like" it. BUT, before doing that, I had to read your first blog entry and see if I REALLY like you. Laughing  .... the verdict? ..... I LOVE you!!! Unlike most "churchy" people, you cut right through the "fluff" and tell it like it is. Thanks!! I will definitely be listening to more of Air 1!! =D
7/19/2011 4:10:23 PM
Jonathan United States
Jonathan
Welcome to the craziest bunch of people you'll ever know!  It's show time!
7/19/2011 4:13:34 PM
Tierra United States
Tierra
Hi Brant! I listened to you on your prior station - loved your morning show - and am happy to have found you here! I have to listen online, since you are no longer on my local station, and the sound keeps cutting out (grr), but I'll manage! Just wanted to say "Hi"!!!
7/19/2011 4:21:56 PM
Cynthia United States
Cynthia
Hey Brant, so glad to hear you on a local radio station here in Missouri....in the afternoons! Now I don't have to get up early to catch your show! Many blessings to you my friend!
7/19/2011 4:25:58 PM
Tara United States
Tara
My husband always says that we are imperfect humans serving a perfect God.... As another listener put it, thanks for being real! Welcome Brant, look forward to listening to your show!
7/19/2011 4:31:01 PM
Sarah United States
Sarah
Welcome, Brant! So glad you're here. Smile
7/19/2011 4:53:20 PM
Megan United States
Megan
All I have to say is Wow. I think the world has more of what you have to offer. I led a small group at my old church for about 8 months. I learned so much about myself, Jesus, and other people but it was frustrating at too. The people that go to that church love Jesus as all get out but most core members could not have a descent normal conversations about their own lives. I agree with you on this, God does own everything. Talk does NOT have to always be spiritual. Sometimes it's just life. Christianity should be not be a talky religion but lived out as a lifestyle. Less talky...more do-y! I'm pretty sure Jesus had a few interesting conversations with his Disciples, and others about how the cool breeze feels good on sunburned skin, or might have tried to count the different colors of fish they caught in their net or discussed how the straps on their sandals kept breaking because I doubt their sandal straps were spiritually endowed with the never-ending strength of the Lord. Tong Thank you, Brant, for being you.
7/19/2011 5:27:04 PM
Michael United States
Michael
hey brant i will be a friend of yours or anyone on air1 for that matter. we are all family in gods eyes so i say welcome brother
7/19/2011 6:06:31 PM
Tim United States
Tim
I always enjoyed listening to you on WayFM. You always spoke from your heart, and from the Word.
I know you'll keep up the great work.
7/19/2011 8:11:09 PM
Monica United States
Monica
Brant I read your blog and I truly do miss hearing you in the morning on my drive to work, now I listen to you thanks to technology on my drive home from work. You are truly missed in South Florida. I was telling my fiance today that according to God your work here is done and now He has moved you to Northern California to touch and change other peoples lives. Your morning show truly impacted my life and I will be looking forward to hearing you again from a distance. God bless you.
7/19/2011 8:50:39 PM
Shannon Haag United States
Shannon Haag
Rule 4 is my favorite!
7/20/2011 9:35:23 AM
Kathleen United States
Kathleen
Brant, first of all I have to tell you (and everyone!) that we had a granddaughter this morning at 5, her name is Natalie Erin and we are so blessed!  Secondly, my husband and I just heard you yesterday and are happy that you are with Air1.  You are like a breath of fresh air.  It is great to hear someone not always smiling, but being real.  God bless you always!
7/20/2011 5:41:38 PM
Jarrod United States
Jarrod
BRANT!  I have been a regular listener to you in Chattanooga and was very disappointed when I heard you were "graduating" from your previous show.  I told my wife, "I bet he is going to Air1", which is also in Chattanooga.  To my delight, I was right!  I love your show, because I "get it".  I understand the above text that you wrote sooooo well.  May the Lord work mightily through your broken human-ness.  I'm glad you are back on the Chattanooga airwaves.
7/20/2011 8:11:38 PM
Chris Namewithheldhaha United States
Chris Namewithheldhaha
Dear Brant & Air1,

We were told there'd be podcasts of your show.  We're 2 days in now and I can't find nothin'.  Are they linked somewhere I'm not seein' them?  I've been unable to hear the 1st two shows so won't you please point out where those daily podcasts are being made available as promised?

THANKS!!!!!!
7/21/2011 12:30:45 PM
Donna United States
Donna
Brant, listened to you from day one in the morning you will be surely missed. Will try to catch your show online. Will there be podcast? Best of Luck. I know God has moved you to continue to share his love with others. Saw you when on another Compassion trip  look forward to hearing about the kids & your trip. Oh, noticed you didn't mention station probation. LOL
Donna, Pompano Beach, FL
7/21/2011 2:43:16 PM
Fellow_Geek_or_Nerd United States
Fellow_Geek_or_Nerd
Dude. Embrace your inner geek. Be at peace with your nerdness. I a total geek myself, and it's good to be geeky. Stormtrooper sticker on truck? Check. Star Wars T shirts to work? Check. Work in IT on uber-geeky stuff? Triple check. Use Star Wars and Star Trek quotes whenever possible? You must do what you feel is right, of course.

So celebrate your geek/nerd side with the knowledge that God made you that way for a reason, so enjoy it and have fun! Fire up your favorite compiler, and make a joyful noise to the Lord!
7/21/2011 4:59:03 PM
Melissa United States
Melissa
When did you start? Harry Potter!
7/22/2011 7:37:49 AM
Chris Poor United States
Chris Poor
Good luck in the new job, Brant.  You'll do fine, I'm sure.
7/22/2011 2:26:27 PM
Andy Sutfin United States
Andy Sutfin
Brant, long time listener, bout 5 days now. Enjoyed kamikaze karaoke the other day. Problem was that I was unable to hear the accordian because the singing was so...BAD. XD You seem like a breath of freash air. DC Talks, Jesus Freak is on now as I write this, how funny is that! Peace and all bro,
Andy
7/22/2011 4:15:52 PM
Cristal United States
Cristal
Brant! Just read "Rules of the Show," and I must say, I'm officially in love with your show. You're a great host. I was listening on my way home after work the other day, and I couldn't stop smiling at what you were saying. Having had a stressful day trying to figure out the new job, it was the best thing I could have come across :]

So glad you're on air1. Have a great weekend, God bless!!!
7/22/2011 7:46:17 PM
Devin United States
Devin
Brant, congratulations on an awesome first day, bro!  I look forward to listening to your new show.
7/24/2011 1:35:05 AM
Erin United States
Erin
Glad you have safety arrived in California. Hope the family and dogs are setting into your new environment. I look forward to your entertaining shows here. God Bless!
7/24/2011 11:04:12 AM
Marion Willis United States
Marion Willis
Thank you Brant for your "I am Second"

So many things that you spoke...I lived also!

It blessed me...

Look forward to getting to know you thru your show here on Air1
7/24/2011 3:29:44 PM
Glynis United States
Glynis
So glad to find that I can still listen to you! God bless this new endeavor!
7/27/2011 10:10:33 AM
Angie Crockett United States
Angie Crockett
Welcome to Air1!! I am soooo looking forward to getting to know you better, especially after reading your rules here!  I love that you embrace the fact that all of us humans are "messed up" and imperfect....even though we strive to be Christ-like, we fail daily, but through mistakes comes wisdom!!  Yep, you probably will offend some, but better to be yourself and be truthful instead of pretending to be something you're not!  Be free!  God Bless!!

7/28/2011 5:04:53 AM
Liz United States
Liz
YAY - - I found you!!! I Listened to your morning show @ work every day - (hilarious & sincere - just most excellent )   Was sad when you left- empty mornings (how pathetic is MY life??haha) - anyway - I heard you on Air 1 the other day after work - recognized your voice (again - how sad am I ??) - and  said YES --- he's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack !!! Congrats.  I pray you and your family are well and that you can continue to reach people -- the way you do -- brilliant -- !!!! can't wait 'til 5:00 p.m. !!! Have a Blessed Day!!
8/31/2011 11:41:22 AM
Bree
Bree
Hey neal im from WV 2and i love your show
9/3/2011 7:40:03 AM
Melissa United States
Melissa
Brant,

I think that God loves us all especially when we show him through our actions. I know that his love is always unconditional. We don't have to do anything to deserve it. God is always waiting just like people we love. I hope that you have great week.

Melissa
9/6/2011 11:48:22 AM
Kathleen Livick United States
Kathleen Livick
Hi Brant:
I listened to you EVERY morning on The Word FM and just loved your show. It is NOT the same. I found you on the internet, but there is no station in the Harrisburg, PA area, hopefully, soon there will be, good luck to you, you always did "look like a California guy". God bless, KL
9/14/2011 12:38:45 PM
Angella United States
Angella
I love your blog Brant!!!!!! And this one is my favorite!!!!!!! =D
9/21/2011 5:56:28 AM
Bob United States
Bob
hello brant love your blog keep on writing more.
11/4/2011 6:29:12 PM
chris United States
chris
amen bro
11/10/2011 11:27:54 AM
Natalie United States
Natalie
I first came across your show when I was driving home from work one afternoon, and I was instantly hooked! Thanks for everything that you do!
12/23/2011 7:07:55 AM
tomgrl United States
tomgrl
Hi wanted to figure out if its o.k. to chat with some people from bixololgy live on this blog cuase i dont have a facebook or twitter.i also wanted say i think your ih=ntro is spectacular!!!
12/23/2011 7:12:21 AM
tomgrl United States
tomgrl
oh sorry i just figured out your on the air now lol sorry-by the way i think your hot! why would you hide your face!
2/2/2012 11:09:56 AM
Kris United States
Kris
You
are
awesome.

'nuff said.
3/6/2012 7:06:10 PM
scott blaisdell United States
scott blaisdell
jesus needs more people like you in this world well welcome oh by the way when i first heard you on the radio i did not think you were a jerk i thought you and your voice were from garfield cartoon YOU SOUND LIKE GARFIELD
4/10/2012 10:04:23 AM
Jaime United States
Jaime
Besides the music, you are the reason I listen to this station. Your show is what I need in my life right now. Thank you Brant.
7/11/2012 11:30:30 PM
Cory D. Jones Germany
Cory D. Jones
Brant -

Well, it's been a year since you left WAY-FM.  And I must admit, it's been a sad year.  Unfortunatly, the afternoon show stateside is the "wee hours of the morning" show here, so I don't get to listen to you.  (Ironic, because when you were on the morning show, it was my afternoon, and now that you're doing an afternoon show, I can't hear it.)

I trust that you had a good year and I wish you continued success.  And if (just if) that success leads you back to the WAY-FM morning show, I won't conplain too much.
12/11/2012 4:41:58 PM
JoAnn Stanley United States
JoAnn Stanley
I just want you to know that I love your show. I love the craziness and your "nerdiness". I have a horrible drive home from work two days a week and your show helps me get through the traffic! The songs you play, the things you do and say that make me laugh, the serious things that make me cry. Keep doing what are doing, please. I love it!
12/11/2012 4:48:48 PM
Jack United States
Jack
Maybe your pic should say "I am last." This would show that you put others not just God in front of yourself.

Pingbacks and trackbacks (2)+